Author Topic: AN UPDATE ---William Banks Hutchison b c 1876 Gilmerton  (Read 14973 times)

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Banks Hutchison b c 1876 Gilmerton
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 March 11 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi ,
     The butchers was Campbells next door was mr. brown another shoemaker who lived across the road from the church in a cottage called Roselea then there was a shop before the Humes had the bookies Runcimans the paper shop and at the top of the road a place my mother granny used to call Peggy Jardines. The arrial folk I think you mean are Tomes who had a wee shop next to mat taits before he built the bigger shop just further down then there was the blacksmiths before Turner had his garage . Think the name was Blacklock or blackley but his wife was peggy Grossart.

Suzilad.

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 March 11 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi lyndyloo6 and all,

Lyndyloo you said you were in the cadets, I was a Warrant Officer with them from 1982 to 1995, then transferred to Newtongrange Sqn then the last two were at 1143 Sqn Portobello retired from them in 1999, it's a shame the A.T.C. is no longer there it closed down nearly 2 years ago, problem was the Officers were very poor and would not listen to us Warrant Officers, of course that went for the Wing Staff Officers as well ( Too big in the heads ) they were.

Suzylad, Bill McCauly is still there in the big house next to the shop he lives with a nice lady called Margaret, some of the  Mitchells moved to Canada and the U.S.A. I like the story about the lady throwing money out of the window what a kind soul, still she would get it back and not bad for the trade, I believe that Mitchells owned the Football ground in the field .

Does anyone remember who owned the big house that the Supper Bowl now stands on, yes you are correct about Teapot Close, when the men went to work the women went down and poured the tea down a drain.
Tomes is no longer there it is now an Opticians Shop and I believe he is very good, in fact better than the top named ones.

There used to be a Laundry at the rear of the COOP shop, all the Petrol Stations have gone now in Gilmerton, the only one is Morrison's. The one down next to the Gardner's Arms has stopped selling it, then Turners is a Bingo hall the one after that is now a Dentist Surgery and the one opposite the Robins Nest is now Flats.

Mitchell's Pub is the only one going in Gilmerton Village, as I said the Gardner's Arms has closed and so did the Fernieside Inn and that was supposed to have been a protected building, so much for our beloved Council. The only two surving outside are the Robins Nest Pub and the what used to be the Jolly Farmer.

Was the house ( Manse ) that Skinner lived in a Butcher Shop at one time ?, Turner who owned the Garage is still going about, you see him at the Elections as a Tory ( God help the man ) but he is a really nice bloke.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 March 11 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Templar,
                As far as I know the park at the back of the Society Hall was always referred to as the Public Park they used to hold greyhound racing there I had a relative who used to slip them no traps in these days got good money for it to.The manse was always there . As you come from the church there is a row of cottages (Smillies) there are two houses they were shops first was Campbells the buthers the other Mr. Brown the cobbler the butcher took over the other one when Mr. Brown retired. then there was McPhails a greengrocers then the vennel which took you through to New Street now Newtoft Street.
Bill McAulay died a few weeks back a friend of mine was at his funeral at Mortonhall. There was a big house where the shops and undertakers are now it was surrounded by beautiful gardens.The laundry was where Lidl is now they had there own tennis courts then there was the dentist which is now a B&B. The doctors surgery was originally up beside the where Taits shop was before they moved to Ferniehill Road.

Suzilad

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 March 11 22:59 BST (UK) »
well there are no Hutchisons on the war memorial in Gilmerton.....

I was in the WJAc's in the 60's so u were after my time.  The Manse was/is the great big house on the right hand side as u come down towards Drum Street.  I cannot beleive how much it has all changed...alll the new build....time rushes on.....
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

Offline Gary Mac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 12:43 BST (UK) »
I am Violet (Mitchell) Macdonald's grandson. My dad was David but was only ever known as Mac.
really interesting hearing about old Gilmerton as I have happy memories of spending time there.
My brother and I attended Gilmerton Boxing club which was run by Sinclair Blair and produced many top class boxers. My cousin Susan is the current landlady of "Mitchells", her mother was my dad's sister Patsy (his other sister was Molly who was married to Bill McCaulay). If I remember correctly, Bill also had an aerial business called Star Ariels which he ran from his backyard.

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Yes you are right about Bill MacAulay and Star Aerials must be about thirty five years ago his son Roderick worked with him for a while then it was all amalgamated with Eden I think.
I never knew your dads name was always called Mac and your granny was always Violet Mitchell a common thing is Gilmerton and many other small villages married women were known by their maiden names.
I had a walk round Gilmerton last week my grandad married beneath him he came from " the tap o' the toon" - Ravescroft Place my granny the" botom" where the vet is now.

Suzilad.

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: AN UPDATE ---William Banks Hutchison b c 1876 Gilmerton
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 July 12 15:41 BST (UK) »

After a lot of help I have eventually found William 's son also William .

William Banks Stirling b c 1907 he married Alison Gardner Dalling Grandison born c 1911

at Gilmerton Parish Church Liberton Edinburgh in June 1936 sadly William died three

months after the marriage in September 1936.

His address on the death cert. was 65, New Street ,Gilmerton.

I now am trying to find out what happened to Alison did she remarry and when did she die.

Thanks

Jessie

Offline john dowling

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 10 August 12 08:10 BST (UK) »
what a lot of memories you lot have brought back
dr.guthries  goodfellows the chemist the dell,  quarry along from the dell
the priest house next to mine in ferniehill road the last farmer in gilmerton was jimmy stewart wife amy  daughters karen& linda he moved near to the cockatoo
danderhall

thanks john [johnny dowling]
dowlings middlesex
mcgrath

Offline gregrobertson12580

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 12:51 GMT (UK) »
I can try and add some information to your questions.

My grandfather, Robert Banks Hutchison was the youngest son of William Banks Hutchison and Jane Stirling.  He was born in Gilmerton and lived all his life in Paisley.

My grand father was born in August 1915 and died in 2003 aged 88.

He also had a younger brother James (Jim) Hutchison and there was also another sister I believed called Nell?  - Although my mother cannot find anything about her and my grandad himself didn't even have a photo etc of her either. If anyone knows anymore about this then I would be interested.

I also dont know of a brother called William.  Can anyone help with more information?

Thanks,

Greg.