Author Topic: Silas Edward MARTYN born abt 1818 St. Columb Cornwall  (Read 9770 times)

Offline BarbaraCM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Silas Edward MARTYN born abt 1818 St. Columb Cornwall
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 13 March 11 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Kris, and thank you Denis for the added info. 

Something stirred in my memory and I have a bible which my son was given for  his Christening from my husband's grandmother,  Molly Emerson C-M. Well, it comes from her Aunt Isabel Allin Martyn Godlee who was given it by her grandmama, Sarah Martyn.  It is not a family Bible but a personal one.  It has always been special - but now even more so.

Also, I have found a little handwritten invitation to Silas to have tea with the Lord Mayor.

Fun,   Barbara

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 March 11 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Ref "Lord Mayor" ..

We - everyone descended from Thomas Martyn & Gertrude Turnavine - are probably descended from various 15/16th century Lord Mayors of London, including the one who appears in Shakespeare's Richard III (Edward Shaa).  Both Thomas & Gertrude were descended from the John Mundy who acquired the manor of Ryalton in about 1539 through his brother Thomas, the last prior of Bodmin; and they are both supposed to be sons of John Mundy, a goldsmith and Lord Mayor of London in (from memory) 1522/3.  I say "supposed" because although several sources state this, the ages don't seem to me to quite match, so perhaps they were differently related (if anyone has ideas on clearing this up, please let me know!)
Marianne's tree has some of these (supposed) ancestral Lord Mayors.

At a humbler but more recent level, Captain James Liddell (1798-1889) was Mayor of Bodmin.

Denis

Offline BarbaraCM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denis,

I enjoy reading your Martyn family info.  Coincidently, my husband's paternal line has a Mundy in it.  Millicent Mundy, daughter of Adryan Mundy, Quorn, Derbyshire, who married John Musters, son of Sir John Musters, also a Lord Mayor of London.  Sometime I must look into it and see where Adryan and John Mundy cross.  It is never ending...not enough hours, days or years to find all those answers.

Thanks, Barbara

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Adrian Mundy (ca.1606/8-1677) was a younger son of Francis Mundy of Markeaton, who was the 3rd generation of oldest sons from the Lord Mayor, John Mundy d 1537.
Adrian's memorial inscription in Allestree Church can be found by googling "Adrianus Mundy".
In fact there's a huge amount on the (mostly Derbyshire) descendants of the Lord Mayor's oldest son Vincent online - and on the Musters family, e.g. http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/books/countypedigrees/musters2.htm.  Or try googling "John and Sophia Musters" for Adrian's gg-grandson on the Musters side ...

The senior line through Vincent all seems pretty definite.  Returning to Cornwall, I am a little suspicious of the claim (found in lots of places) that Thomas Mundy Prior of Bodmin and his brother John of the manor of Ryalton were sons of the Lord Mayor.  My problem is that the references to sons Thomas and John in the Lord Mayor's will imply that they were under 21 in 1537, in which case how was Thomas already (1534) Prior of Bodmin?
Could they have been cousins instead?

If anyone has ideas/info I'd be interested.  It seems worth sorting out the prior of Bodmin; he was also largely responsible for the Prideaux family acquring the manor of Padstow.

Denis

Offline BarbaraCM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 15 April 11 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Denis,

Belatedly, thank you for the Mundy info.  Sometime I will spend more time on the earlier families.  Now, I spend most of my time gathering info on the lines descending from Mary Chaworth and John Musters.  So much is written about this family and I am spending some time compiling the info.  I can't be of any help on the question of the Mundys.  Is there a Mundy thread or interest group?  Thanks again, Denis.
Barbara