Author Topic: Agnes Crosbie b.1891 COMPLETED  (Read 5912 times)

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Agnes Crosbie b.1891 COMPLETED
« on: Monday 28 February 11 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Hoping to find the birth place and true parents of Agnes Crosbie,  b.1891 Scotland.

Between the years 1909 - 1976 she was either resident in the USA or traveling to or from to Scotland.  On one ships manifest her father is given as a John Crosbie,  Bridge of Dee, Castle Douglas, address is given as 31, High St. Kirkudbright.

There was a John Crosbie at that address,  also a James Crosbie at no. 11.  However, i cannot find any records that link these two gentlemen with Agnes!
Can anyone help.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline avi8r84

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Crosbie b.1891
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 March 11 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

possibly related?, do you have an ancestry account?  my handle is  avi8r84 with my family tree up there

My Crosbie and McLeod relatives are, Agnes Crosbie born 1899, with father John Crosbie, known as John Richardson Mcleod Crosbie born in Liverpool 1867, his father was Philip Crosbie born 1826 in Dumfries area and mother Agnes Mcleod born same year same area as her husband Philip, Philips father was William who was born in Kircudbrightshire around the late 1700's who was a joiner, Agnes McLeods father was also a joiner hinting that the two fathers must have worked together.

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 March 11 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi avi,

No unfortunately I dont have an Ancestry account. The names you list don't ring any bells, but then my tree is littered with the names John, William and Agnes, so who knows,  they could be related somewhere along the branch lines, its certainly the right area.

I will keep my eyes out for them.  Thanks for getting in touch.

Regards Purlin
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline Druid56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi 1901 census gives

Name: Agnes Crosbie
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Relationship: Granddaur (Granddaughter)
Where born: Kirkcudbright, Kirkcudbrightshire 
Registration district: Kirkcudbright
Civil parish: Kirkcudbright
County: Kirkcudbrightshire
Address: Mutehill Cottage

Catherine Crosbie 71
John Crosbie 51
Jessie Shaw 44
Agnes Mcdonall 40
James Crosbie 14
Agnes Crosbie 11

John Crosbie is listed as son of Cathrine so it all seems to fit (ages are approximate )
Jessie shaw some one has added info that her name was Crosbie (I assume she married someone called shaw
hope this helps

If you google mute hill you will find the area it is in
McCcoskry, Coskry,Copland, Rigg, McGinn,Agnew,Crone, Sw/Scotland
Kirkcudbrghtshire , Wigtownshire, Dumfrieshire

Jack,Connell
Wynne, Derby,McFadyen,Dunbar
Glasgow and surrounding areas
Rasche Johnston,
Dundee, Dingwall,Perthshire Carlisle , Ireland, Germany
Weale  , Hall
Much Wenlock and surrounding area Shropshire

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 March 11 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Druid,

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to seek out that information for me.  Yes, it does indeed help, now it all fits together very neatly.  Which i have to say is unusual for this family!

Much obliged

Regards purlin

Offline Druid56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 March 11 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Glad it helped  :)
McCcoskry, Coskry,Copland, Rigg, McGinn,Agnew,Crone, Sw/Scotland
Kirkcudbrghtshire , Wigtownshire, Dumfrieshire

Jack,Connell
Wynne, Derby,McFadyen,Dunbar
Glasgow and surrounding areas