Author Topic: Manchester burial records  (Read 1538 times)

Offline fredandora

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Manchester burial records
« on: Saturday 26 February 11 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

I realise that this message-question is a bit late in the day, given that the last post was 2008, but maybe someone interested will pick it up... Here's hoping anyway.

I'm trying to find the burial grounds (or crematorium) of my grandfather.  He used to live on Dean Lane in Moston.  He died in Moston in 1959.  He wasn't Catholic which means he may not have been buried at Moston Cemetery because I believe that that is an RC burial ground.  I've visited the Manchester Burial Records site on and off since it went online (though I've not paid any money), but have yet to find him.

Where might he have been buried/cremated?  Does anyone out there have any clues as to where I might look?  (I live in the US, otherwise I'd scout around the cemeteries myself.) 

Like other people who've written in, I really don't understand why Manchester has decided to charge for details when nearby Local Authorities have provided them for free!  Oldham (a few of my family have turned up there, though not as yet my great-grandparents) and Warrington  (another couple there) are really good. 

Thank you all for reading!  :D

Regards,
Anne

Moderator comment: Split from resources thread
Census Data Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Reeves-Chs,Flints, Lan
Rishworth - W.Yks,Hems, Wkfld, Ackwth
Morgan-Mntg, Shrps, Lan
Booth -Chs, Rncrn, Wrrl, USA
Fildes - Lan, Cadhd, Barton
Ellams - Chs, Hlsby, CA
Lockett - Chs - Frod
Brunton - W.Yks, Wkfld, USA
Harper - Staffs, Drlston
Partridge -Staffs, Drlston
Bate/s - Shrps, Wmbrdg
Horn/e - Leics, Staffs
Mellor - Drbys
Handley - Chs Lan Yks
Carter - Shrps Ketley
Cotton -Shrps Wmbrdg
Greenfield - WYks

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester burial records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 February 11 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Probably been suggested already, but my Grandfather lived round the corner from yours and died in 1957. He was cremated at Hollinwood (Oldham). That, I think, was the nearest at that time.

Eric.
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester burial records
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 09:05 GMT (UK) »
I can't see what you have to complain about Manchester burial site, as you say you have search for free and not had to spend a penny. You have to except everything in life is not free and not expect people of Manchester to stand the bill for having the records transcribed and the fee for building and maintaining the web site for the world.
Doesn't matter what is given freely some one always wants more and thinks it is not enough.

Migky