Author Topic: McLean COMPLETED  (Read 23814 times)

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McLean
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 07:44 GMT (UK) »
So I'm confused :-)

What's the most likely explanation for the 1871/10593 birth record of WATTS Amelia Elizabeth.

It's three years before the 1874 marriage so it's either a huge coincidence of names or a thirteen year old mother and a twenty year old father not allowed to get married until the bride turned sixteen.

Would be handy to view the birth certificate.

FWIW, the headstone in Karoro Cemetery reads

ILMO Amelia Elizabeth
Beloved wife of William Ralph WILLIAMSON
9/1/1912
Aged 54

Beg

Offline Powerhouse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 07:59 GMT (UK) »
I've been away for 5 hours and now I'm confused! :)

Although I'm fascinated by the life of Amelia, and would love to find out more, and I do appreciate all the research, I think perhaps we should just concentrate on her time married to Allan McLean and their children, as they are my descendants.
Maybe Allan and Amelia were never married, but had 3 children ????

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 03 March 11 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Powerhouse
Good idea
Post the last details that you have that can be posted (for privacy reasons)
PM me any possible living names and I'll take a look
Bye
Althea

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 03 March 11 07:43 GMT (UK) »

So I'm confused :-)

What's the most likely explanation for the 1871/10593 birth record of WATTS Amelia Elizabeth.

It's three years before the 1874 marriage so it's either a huge coincidence of names or a thirteen year old mother and a twenty year old father not allowed to get married until the bride turned sixteen.

Beg

FamilySearch.org has an Ancestral File (submitted information) for what appears to be the 1871,  Amelia Elizabeth WATTS.

Amelia Elizabeth WATTS
Birth:  1872
D/o  - William James WATTS & Rosetta PARKER

Amelia Elizabeth WATTS
Death:   1876  (6 March 1876)
Buried at:     Onehunga (Auckland)

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 03 March 11 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: Lucy2
Quote from: begclonrode

Beg

FamilySearch.org has an Ancestral File (submitted information) for what appears to be the 1871,  Amelia Elizabeth WATTS.

Amelia Elizabeth WATTS
Birth:  1872
D/o  - William James WATTS & Rosetta PARKER

Amelia Elizabeth WATTS
Death:   1876  (6 March 1876)
Buried at:     Onehunga (Auckland)

Excellent catch Lucy :-)

So what's the link between Rosetta PARKER and Amelia Elizabeth McCREEDY........sisters-in-law?

And what a coincidence that the name Amelia Elizabeth WATTS turns up twice.

Regards
Beg

Quote from: Powerhouse

I think perhaps we should just concentrate on her time married to Allan McLean and their children, as they are my descendants.

Apologies to the OP for the thread jack.

1) They are actually your ancestors, not descendants.

2) If the 4 July 1888 marriage between Allan McLEAN and Amelia Elizabeth WATTS bore the three McLean children then Amelia is also one of your ancestors.

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 03 March 11 09:04 GMT (UK) »

I've been away for 5 hours and now I'm confused! :)

Although I'm fascinated by the life of Amelia, and would love to find out more, and I do appreciate all the research, I think perhaps we should just concentrate on her time married to Allan McLean and their children, as they are my descendants.

Hi Powerhouse

Firstly, apologies if I have in any way contributed to your confusion (with regards to my adding the information concerning Amelia's first husband and family).   ;)

But just to explain  ....
It's by no means unusual to find in threads in this forum, information being added which at first glance may appear trivial, irrelevant, or - totally astray of the question(s) being asked by the lister.   ;D

As in this case, where we're temporarily "stuck" in turning up anything further about your Allan McLean, it could well be that the (seemingly irrelevant) contributions, spark further interest.   Sometimes we need to tack in a different direction to find answers.   ;)

And who knows, maybe there are descendants of Amelia's first family out there somewhere ?    The "magic" of RootsChat is that information can spring forth from the most unlikely of sources.

~  Lu

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 03 March 11 09:29 GMT (UK) »

[Mentioned earlier in this thread, I think ? ]

This appears to be the marriage.

Amelia Elizabeth WATTS - Allan McLEAN -- year  1888

----------------------------------

My turn to be confused.   :D

Powerhouse  ... not sure if you're wanting to discover the background of Allan McLean, but if so, then by purchasing this marriage record you would get information contributed by Allan, himself.

Link to NZ BMD  > >

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/search/

[Request "a printout" of this record (rather than certificate) - this gives maximum info and is the less expensive option also. ]   :)

~  Lu

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 03 March 11 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes there may be alot of other info
and yes it may all be useful ...
at the moemt Powerhouse would like to find descendants of the marriage of Allan and Amelia ...hopefully to get clues to find those still alive

children for Amelia and ALlan
Allan Hector McLean b 12 April 1889
Braedalbane Emma b 11 Feb 1891
and Roderick Coll b 1896
BYe
Althea

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 03 March 11 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: althea

at the moment Powerhouse would like to find descendants of the marriage of Allan and Amelia

Hello Althea.....in that case two things the OP could do is:

1) Start a thread requesting that the Army Service Record of Allan Hector McLEAN be digitised. More often than not there is a notification of death in the file. If the notification tallies with the burial record from Mangatera Cemetery then purchase a printout of the death certificate from BDM Historical NZ. Children and surviving issue will be (should be) noted on the death certificate.

If there is no notification of death (as in his brother's service record) nothing is lost. It may then make sense to request a possible death notice look-up for the 1949 death.

Or just speculate and purchase the death certificate anyway. There can't have been that many Allan Hector McLEAN's born in 1889-90 who served in WW1 living on the East Coast.

http://archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=10925967

McLEAN, Allan Hector - WW1 23028 - Army   1914 - 1918

agency - AABK
series - 18805
accession - W5544
box / item - 87 /
sep -
record no. - 0075137

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Search
1949/16953 - McLEAN, Allan Hector 59Y

http://www.tararuadc.govt.nz/asp/cemetery_details.asp?ID=34&PlotID=6020
Burial Record

2)

Purchase a printout of the death certifcate of Roderick Coll McLEAN from BDM Historical NZ for the same reason i.e children and surviving issue will be (should be) noted on the death certificate.

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Search
1954/32576 - McLEAN, Roderick Coll 58Y

If there are no children mentioned on either death certificate it means their sister is the last hope for this branch of the McLean name not dying out.

The only deaths for a Breadalbane McLEAN that I can find are (unsurprisingly) on Scotland's People. There are two deaths but neither match (1868-1944 and 1901-1928).

I can't find her after the 1928 Electoral Roll for Gisborne.

Three options - marriage, migration or death. Can't find an obvious marriage record, can't find an obvious death record. Would be nice if her brothers' death certificates mention children. Maybe one of them is interested in family history and has the whole tree.

Regards
Beg