Author Topic: What is 18th Regiment, 7th Foot circa 1818?  (Read 4594 times)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What is 18th Regiment, 7th Foot circa 1818?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 March 11 17:13 GMT (UK) »
i,m getting one of my heads here  ;D ;D ;D ;D
as i wrote it is how i meant it i made no mention of 18th of foot for james .

do i presume you have access to FindMyPast records ?
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Silent Whale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 March 11 19:59 GMT (UK) »
You're getting one of your heads?! Pah! I've forgotten what the question is now!

And no, no access to FindMyPast; I just did a general search for McConkey and saw loads of my peeps - with some strange strange stuff I've never heard of before like Civil Service registers of something. But all far down the line the opposite way that I'm trying to go. I'm on another rival site which doesn't seem to throw up much in the way of McConkeys.

I've done a small amount at Hampshire RO and Portsmouth RO, and off to East Sussex RO next week. All the info stated in this thread comes from the first ROs.
Bertram - London; Bartram - London and Wallingford, Berks; Dixon - Kent; Gant - Colchester, Essex; Goldsack - Kent; Mann - London and Sussex; McConkey - Sussex and Hants; Percival - London and Nottingham; Turner - Fordham, Cambs; Reach - London; Rumens - London; Matthews - London.

Offline nwad22

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 March 11 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Have just found this thread so thought I would put in my 2d worth. Might help to clarify things a bit.

I'm descended from Thomas McConkey son of Robert & Martha and have a copy of Thomas's baptism from the parish register. It definitely says that Robert was a private in the 18th regiment OF foot. It is easy to see how it could be mistaken for a 7 foot though. I don't know if Robert & Martha had any more children.

Have just found out that the 18th regiment of foot were in the West Indies from 1805 to 1817 so that could be worth following up.

Cheers, Dawn

Offline Silent Whale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Dawn - hello to a fellow McConkey descendant - never, ever known one before; nice to meet you.

I'm very slightly confused as I saw the microfiche baptism record at Portsmouth RO for Thomas McConkey and I'm sure it said '18th reg, 7th foot'. Yes I do agree that it is difficult to read and I can only think that I noted them down in the wrong order and this one refers to Elizabeth McConkey, daughter of James who I have marked down as just '18th reg'. I'm going back to Portsmouth RO on the 19 April so will check what I've done wrong.

Can you link James and Robert as brothers? It surely has to be likely; both having children at the same time in the same place, in the same regiment?

The only reason I'm on the trail of these two is that I'm trying to find the parents of my one who is William James McConkey. The only birth info I have is various birth dates in Portsmouth from census returns across 1801 to 1811! And all points in between.

There is also a Hugh and Herbert in Portsmouth around these times - anything to do with you?

I found out last week that the last child of WJM had a middle name of ‘Inkerman’. He was born at the same time as the Battle of Inkerman in the Crimean War. I’ve searched to see a McConkey casuality for the battle and there isn’t any. Nor could I find anything remotely like ‘18th reg’ taking part.

All minor facts but I’m working on the basis that all these McConkeys are somehow related – there are so few around the Portsmouth area at that time.

I was in Alverstoke last night (watching my lad play football!) and when I Googled directions I found out that the pitch was bang slap at the side of St George’s Barracks – which I think used to be Forton Barracks. Just opposite was a massive church and I was sorely tempted to have a sneak away from the footie and search the graveyard, albeit being very dark!

Perhaps you’d like to PM me your email address and then I can invite you to see my online tree?

Neil
(a bit excited at finding a McConkey!)
Bertram - London; Bartram - London and Wallingford, Berks; Dixon - Kent; Gant - Colchester, Essex; Goldsack - Kent; Mann - London and Sussex; McConkey - Sussex and Hants; Percival - London and Nottingham; Turner - Fordham, Cambs; Reach - London; Rumens - London; Matthews - London.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil

You will have to PM Dawn with your email address. New members cannot send PMs until they have posted three (?) times.

Ken

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 21:25 GMT (UK) »
The 18th Regiment were in the Crimea, but not involved in Inkerman.

If you read further, past your original quote about Forton Barracks it says that St George's Barracks had been called New Barracks when it opened in 1859 - http://mygosport.org/info_pages_htm/gosport_history.htm

Ken

Offline Silent Whale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken

Will do regards Dawn - ta.

I just found this as well: "Forton Barracks then became St Vincent Barracks. Closed as a barracks around 1975 then became a Senior School (11-16 age group) then a College for 16 plus, which it is today".

Chances are that was where I was standing the other night as I was at St Vincents 6th Form College!

Neil