Author Topic: Ann Greig b c1800 Marykirk, Kincardineshire  (Read 11780 times)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Greig b c1800 Marykirk, Kincardineshire
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 March 11 18:24 GMT (UK) »
hi all  :)

SP has a death for a mary greig(other surname fullerton) 1856 marykirk kincardine born c1774(age 82)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 March 11 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi ev
Thanks for the info. I think John Greig her husband died on the 10th of Dec 1859 aged 96!!! Some age then.
colincam
Brown: Campbell: Castle: Catto: Ferguson: Forbes: Greig: Mackie: Rae: Reid: Riddel: Wallace: Wright

Offline wallyf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 July 11 02:51 BST (UK) »
hi all  :)

SP has a death for a mary greig(other surname fullerton) 1856 marykirk kincardine born c1774(age 82)

ev

That information resembles a monument inscription in St Cyrus that includes a Mary Grieg and David Fullerton.  This was provided a decade ago by Bob Duncan who wrote terrific descriptions of his observations in the area before he "disappeared" from public forums. 

I believe the age of Mary Grieg shown below is missing a digit and her age should have been in the 80s.  Note that James Fullerton died 1856 - the same year SP shows for Mary.

As an aside, I am trying to connect this Fullerton family with the large bunch living in Benholm, descended from George and Margaret (Pirie) Fullerton.  Based on birth year, there is a pretty good chance that James is the grandson, through his father Alexander.

Sandstone, 5|. There are two small arches at the top. In the left
hand one is : Erected 1862. In the other one is : In memory of.
The inscription itself reads : James Fullarton/Mercury Loan, St.
Cyrus/who died 28th July 1856 aged 73 years/and his wife/Jean
Potter/who died 3rd July 1865 aged 83 years/Also of their
family/James/died September 1824 aged 9 months/Mary Ann/died
September 1828 aged 10 years/Alexander/drowned August 1833 aged
6 years/And grandchildren/James Fullarton/who died 5th December
1847 in infancy/Mary Ann Fullarton/who died 29th January 1882
aged 19 years/Children of David Fullarton/Mary Greig died 15th
October 1903/aged 8 years/The above David Fullarton/died 20th
August 1909 aged 91 years. At the bottom is the manufacturer's
name W. Lamb. This is in Old English script about 3/4 of an inch
high, which is unusual. All other occurrences of this name have
been in capitals of a smaller size.  [source: Bob Duncan, contributor to Rootsweb forum, 1998.]
Those Fullertons and related names associated with the family of George Fullerton and Margaret Pirie who resided at Mains of Dun about 1740 and Knox of Benholm after 1760, and their descendents scattered from Lunan to Peterhead, across Canada and the United States, and assuredly elsewhere.

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 July 11 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi wallyf
Your discovery is very interesting but I think it is coincidental.
It is normal for women to be buried using their maiden name. So if Mary Greig who died in 1856 in Marykirk is indeed my Ann Greig's mother, then she would have been buried as Mary Fullarton not Greig. Also her 1856 death certificate indicates she was buried in Logie Pert Parish Churchyard not St Cyrus. However when I visited this church (now converted into a house) recently, I could not find an adjacent graveyard so her death certificate may be wrong in this respect.
For your information Mary's parents were John Fullarton who was a schoolmaster and Nancy Nicol. They married in Marykirk in 1773.
Kind regards
Colin
Brown: Campbell: Castle: Catto: Ferguson: Forbes: Greig: Mackie: Rae: Reid: Riddel: Wallace: Wright

Offline wallyf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 July 11 00:45 BST (UK) »
My error - I apparently misread your posts and thought that Grieg was her maiden name, not her married name.  Re-reading them I see that you were searching for Anne Grieg and that Mary might have been her mother, so I should have caught it.   (Usually I try to provide both maiden and married name in my posts to avoid exactly that kind of error.) 

I am "familiar" with John Fullerton of Marykirk -- and pretty much every other Fullerton from Lunan up to Aberdeen since a significant majority are related to my family.  I haven't shown John, however, to be among them yet.  BTW, is Nancy Nicol the recorded name?  I believe I've seen her also as Ann which is, of course, a variant.

As an aside, the Fullertons in the inscription I provided came from Menmuir originally, and Mary from Lawrencekirk, moving to St. Cyrus after marriage.  I have my family in Dun before 1740 and in Benholm after 1760.  There was a lot of movement in the area so I'd keep an open mind on possible locations.

Good luck,

Regards,

Wally
Those Fullertons and related names associated with the family of George Fullerton and Margaret Pirie who resided at Mains of Dun about 1740 and Knox of Benholm after 1760, and their descendents scattered from Lunan to Peterhead, across Canada and the United States, and assuredly elsewhere.

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 July 11 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Wally
Thanks for the reply
What do you know about John Fullarton, the schoolmaster? Do you know who his parents were etc?
Yes, the OPR of his marriage states that his bride was Anne Nicol which is a variant of Nancy.
Regards
Colin

Offline wallyf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 July 11 21:26 BST (UK) »
Regretfully, Colin, I have only little data on him.  But "familiar" I only meant that I was aware of him and his location and have him on my "maybe related but needs further attention" list.   There were a fair number of Fullertons in that general area, including the Quaker family that owned the Kinnaber estate north of Montrose.

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 July 11 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Wally
Thanks. If you do find out some info about John Fullarton in the future, then please get in touch through this forum. He must have been born c1740-50
Regards
Colin