Author Topic: Agnes Reid, Banffshire  (Read 9442 times)

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Reid, Banffshire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 March 11 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian
I think that's probably good advice
I shall have a look at the Edinburgh marriage and birth records of this couple to see if there is any link to the birth in Banff. However I should point out that in the 1803 Banff birth record, Thomas and Agnes are described as married. So I'm not expecting much.
colincam
Brown: Campbell: Castle: Catto: Ferguson: Forbes: Greig: Mackie: Rae: Reid: Riddel: Wallace: Wright

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 March 11 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi GR2
I shall try contacting ANESFHS about the burial register. I suppose I am looking for the burial of an Agnes Wright nee Reid between 1803 and 1805.
colincam
Brown: Campbell: Castle: Catto: Ferguson: Forbes: Greig: Mackie: Rae: Reid: Riddel: Wallace: Wright

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 March 11 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi GR2
I have now heard back from ANESFHS and unfortunately there is a gap in the burial register record around the times concerned. This woman is proving extremely elusive. Has anyone got any other ideas for future avenues of research??
colincam

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 March 11 15:29 GMT (UK) »
in the 1803 Banff birth record, Thomas and Agnes are described as married

Fairy nuff :)

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 March 11 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Not so easy now. If you are looking for evidence that she did die, it is just possible that there might be a mention in the accounts/minutes of the kirk session if the family hired a mortcloth or handbell for the funeral. The minutes of the kirk sessions have been digitised and can be read in the National Archives. Later this year they are to be made more widely available in other archives too. I assume you have checked to see if there is a gravestone for the family. The Spalding Club has ones for this period recorded in one of their volumes.

Graham.

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 March 11 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian
I have now had a look at the 1812 marriage of Thomas Wright and Agnes Reid in Edinburgh and the subsequent births records. In the marriage record, Thomas is described as being in the Perthshire Militia and Agnes as the daughter of George Reid, labourer, Grassmarket. In the birth records of the couples children in Edinburgh  (from 1815 to 1820), Thomas is described as a weaver.
If this couple are the same as the Thomas Wright and Agnes Reid who gave birth to Agnes in 1803 in Banff, then a couple of questions arise. Were the Perthshire militia stationed at some barracks near the town in the early 1800's? If not, what were Thomas and Agnes doing in Banff at that time?
I would appreciate your thoughts or anyone else's
Colin

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 March 11 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Were the Perthshire militia stationed at some barracks near the town in the early 1800's? If not, what were Thomas and Agnes doing in Banff at that time?

I think this strengthens the case for there being two couples of the same name, one in Banff and one in Edinburgh. As I understand it, the county militias were a bit like the Home Guard in the Second World War - that is, they were recruited to defend their local area, and were not stationed in other places like the regular army.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 08:41 GMT (UK) »
hi all  :)

freeCEN has 1841(all born banffshire)
banff banffshire
thomas wright 58 merchant
henrietta wright 55
bathia wright 18

bathia souter wright born 1821 banff banff to thomas wright and henrietta cameron(there are other children to this couple on the IGI)

it doesn't look like this thomas wright had anything to do with edinburgh

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Dear ev & Forfarian
I am inclined to agree with you that the Edinburgh couple and the Banff couple are different.
I think that the Banff Agnes Reid died shortly after having the baby Agnes in 1803 and Thomas Wright "remarried" Henrietta Cameron in 1805. I am sure that in these days childbirth was a risky affair. I can't prove this as I cannot find a record of a Banff marriage between Agnes and Thomas. Maybe they weren't married in spite of the above birth record saying they were??
colincam