Author Topic: Looking for info - Sweeney/Kilkenny  (Read 3484 times)

Offline dideyjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for info - Sweeney/Kilkenny
« on: Tuesday 01 March 11 19:09 GMT (UK) »
I have hit two brick walls for my gg grandfathers -
1st one is Anthony KIlkenny who married an Anne Charles - not sure where but probably in Europe, more likely Ireland because where his descendants lived - Leitrim count

2nd one is Bernard Sweeney who married Ann McGovern\ same info as above

BOth were probably married 1840-1060 rang
Sweeney, Kilkenny, Greenan, Charles

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info - Sweeney/Kilkenny
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 19:19 GMT (UK) »
No help with your request, but might be family related.

Kilkenny Ellen; b. 2/4/1824 Anaghmaconway Cloone Leitrim
Parents; James Kilkenny; b.1797
              Mary Mitchell; b. 1801.-d. 12/4/1842 Cloone
Married; 12/4/1822
----------------------
Jack

Offline Jim I

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info - Sweeney/Kilkenny
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 March 11 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi John
I'm sure I had already sent you this info but maybe I was having a senior moment.

Anthony Kilkenny lived with his wife Ann Charles at Tooma, parish of Cloone (RC parish of Aughavas).  There is no record of their marriage in that RC parish but these are often absent from the records; either the record was omitted or the couple married in another parish.  There were several Kilkennys in Tooma and I see no reason why that townland could not have been his home/place of birth.

In 1901 I believe his son John held the land and with him was his widowed mother aged 70.  Assuming Anthony was of a similar age we would not find a birth as Aughavas records only start in 1843.

The first son I can find was Patrick in 1861 and, if he was indeed the first son, this could well point to Anthony's father also being Patrick.

As to further work I suggest you contact the Land Valuation Office in Dublin.  If you give the name Kilkenny and the townland of Tooma you can purchase from them a list of how land changed hands between Griffith';s Valuation and the early 20th century.  You should be able to see who passed the land onto Anthony and who he in turn passed it on to.

Best of luck

Jim