Author Topic: Duff Bros Bakery Beresford STreet Belfast  (Read 5795 times)

Offline ricknsan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duff Bros Bakery Beresford STreet Belfast
« on: Tuesday 01 March 11 19:18 GMT (UK) »
I have just started family history and am related to Samuel, James and John Duff of Duff Bros Bakery on BEresford Street in Belfast...1880-19?

Their Father was named Samuel Duff and came from Saintfield, Down and was also a master baker.

Looking for any information on this family.

THanks!

Offline hamlets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Duff Bros Bakery Beresford STreet Belfast
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 March 11 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Duff Bros are mentioned in the Ulster Streets Directory in 1880 and in 1900 being at 32, 34, and 36 Beresford St. on both dates.
In 1918 their premises consisted of 32 to 42 Beresford St.
In 1911, the family lived at 70 Beresford St.
Gertrude Duff m. William Woods Kerr (b. 1893) in Apr-Jun 1919. I am told they had two sons.
Regards.
O'Neill, Balmer, Dick, Lockhart, Jeffers, Morton, Ringland.
South Armagh, South Down, North Louth

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 March 11 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Samuel Duff died on 17 May 1902 and the image of his will can be seen at http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx
   The families can also be found on the 1901 and 1911 census at www.census.nationalarchives.ie

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline muddyboots2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 May 11 16:44 BST (UK) »
I am also directly related to the Duff brothers through Gertrude Duff & William Woods Kerr. Attached is a photo of this family.

I would be interested in any information anyone has.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 May 11 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   18 Jun 1919 William W. Kerr married Gertrude Duff in Albert St. Presbyterian Church, Shankill, Belfast.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline muddyboots2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 May 11 17:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I am trying to find more information on Alexander Kerr, William Woods Kerr' s father. I believe he died in Cork in an industrial accident but don't know much about his birth. Also tracing back the Duff line through John Duff (m Ellen Lorimer in 1887) son of Samuel Duff from Saintfield, Co Down. Who wa Samuel married to?

Offline grannygaga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 May 11 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi: Gertrude Duff would be my 1st cousin 2x removed.  My paternal grandmother was Margaret Duff, dau of James Duff's 1st marriage to Catherine Lemon.  Margaret's sister was Minnie Craig Duff.  James's 2nd wife was Eliz McChesney with children Jeannie and Lily.

His brother John Duff had 8 children with 5 living per the 1901 census with Gertrude Annie Duff being the oldest of the siblings I believe.  I see that Gertrude is buried in Roselawn but have been unable to find where the other Duff's are buried, especially the 3 brothers, Samuel, John and James my grandfather. 

Samuel Duff married Mary Craig 28 Nov 1877, Clifton St. Presby, Shankill.  They had at least 5 children: Francis Craig Duff (B/D 1880), Elizabeth, another Francis Craig, Sarah Kirk Duff and Jane Craig Duff.  I believe Mary Craig might have come from Ballymena area with parents James Craig and Jane Kirk but not 100% sure. 

Was wondering where Ellen Lorimer/Larmour, John's wife came from: found a marriage for a John Duff and a Ellen Lorimer for 12 Jul 1887 in Donegore?  YOUR PHOTO WONDERFUL BY THE WAY

Offline grannygaga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 May 11 18:23 BST (UK) »
You wanted information on Samuel, the father of the 3 brothers (Samuel, James and John).  Samuel Duff was also a master baker from the Saintfield area: he also left a will DOD 18 Oct 1862 beneficiary being his wife Eliza Duff.  I have been unable to find her maiden name.  You can also find a Samuel Duff on the PRONI Freeholders List with a Samuel Duff leasing property in Saintfield from Nicholas Price: date of Registry 1815: then, on the Griffiths valuations it looks like Eliza also leased property from a James C Price in the Saintfield Parks area, Main Street, Saintfield.

There is also a William Duff, baker, who left a will, DOD 10 Jan 1895, 165 Nelson St and 45 Great Patrick Street all to his wife Eliza.  She is on the 1901 census at Nelson Street.  Do not know if William was related to Samuel but found it interesting.  Wish we could connect the dots.  There is also a William Duff on the Griffiths valuation sheets leasing property further down the Main Street of Saintfield.

Offline barbpick

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my grandfather, on my mum’s side was John Duff who had a bakery in Beresford Street. My mum lived above the bakery with her mum, Florence and brothers, Jackie and Stanley. My Mum’s name is Florence Cecilia, she is 92, her brothers are no longer alive. Stanley lived in Belfast all his life, Jackie emigrated to Canada at an early age.