Author Topic: Blairgowrie MI Lookup Please  (Read 2862 times)

Offline melinda3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blairgowrie MI Lookup Please
« on: Tuesday 01 March 11 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone had MI's for Blairgowrie. I am looking for Robert Graham who died 04 Jun 1861. He was married to Janet Wilson but I believe she was buried in Rattray. Any help would be appreciated  :)
Graham - Glasgow, Edinburgh, St. Vigeans
Russell - Perthshire
McGehan - Hamilton, Scotland, Ireland
Napier - Aberdeen
Caird - St. Vigeans

Offline t1m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Blairgowrie MI Lookup Please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 April 11 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Melinda,

I took a look for you yesterday at the old parish church on Kirk Wynd, which is close to where I live.  A lot of the headstones are unreadable, and the lower part of the burial ground is very overgrown.  I couldn't see any headstones with the surname Graham.

I will try the Rattray burial ground for you some time.  But as I don't drive and consequently need to walk, I want to wait until we have better weather than we're having at the moment.  Do you have any other names you would like me to look out for?

Tim

Offline melinda3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 April 11 15:44 BST (UK) »
Tim,

Thank you so much for looking for me. I really appreciate it. It's too bad there wasn't a stone. I was hoping there would be some information on it that could further my research. Other than Robert Graham and his wife Janet Wilson the only other name I am researching in that area would be George Russell who died 21 May 1923. His usual address was 32 Glasgow Road, Perth so I have no idea where he would have been buried. It doesn't say on his death registration. Thanks again for your kindness and looking for Robert for me.

Melinda
Russell - Perthshire
Napier - Aberdeen
Caird - St. Vigeans

Offline t1m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 April 11 17:27 BST (UK) »
Perhaps he's buried in Rattray with his wife.  I'm assuming he was the Robert Graham in the same household as his daughter in 1861 (on Croft Lane, within 30 secs walking distance of where I live), and born about 1786 in Edinburgh.  Blairgowrie and Rattray were only separated by the River Ericht, and now form the same town.  I will check when the weather isn't so windy, grey and wet!  There is another cemetery on the edge of Blair, but I'm almost certain it wasn't in use yet in 1861 (I could be wrong, I've never visited it).

Do you know what date Janet Wilson died?

I also asked at the library, but they don't hold any details of burials after 1855.  I was told the people to contact is Perth and Kinross Burial Services.     
The email is esburials[at]pkc.gov.uk
                                                                                                                         In the unlikely event you'd prefer to call, the telephone number is (UK int. code) 01738 446865.  I was told there is a small fee involved, which the Bereavement Services will be able to tell you about.

I'm very very rarely in Perth (once or twice a year at most), and it's always pop in and pop out again.  My guess is that George Russell would be buried in Wellshill Cemetery, Perth.  Again, the Bereavement Services should be able to help you there.

The old parish church is no longer in use, and the lower part of the burial ground is not tended to.  I'm guessing the lower part wasn't used much as there is only a few headstones visible, but I'm sure there will be some buried under the long grass and (lots of!) thorns.  A lot of the stones in the top part have been weathered away, and many others are partly covered in moss (I never known if the moss helps to protect the stone from the elements, or does a lot of harm, so I try to leave alone).  If necessary I will go back and look again another day.

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [-- at --] with @

Offline melinda3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 April 11 20:39 BST (UK) »
Tim,

Yes that is the right Robert Graham! Janet (Wilson) Graham died 01 Apr 1855 and her death registration does say she was buried in Rattray Churchyard. Maybe Robert is with her then?? I shouldn't have mentioned George Russell; I didn't realize how far it was from you. Next time I will look at a map first  :). Thank you so much for taking the time and letting me know where to look next. You have been so kind and I will check it out for sure!

Thanks again,
Melinda
Russell - Perthshire
Napier - Aberdeen
Caird - St. Vigeans

Offline t1m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 April 11 17:16 BST (UK) »
Melinda,

As luck would have it, we had fine weather for walking this morning.  So I went to the Rattray parish church today to see if I could find any of headstones.  There are the usual headstones that can't be read, but I'd estimate about 95% of them are readable -- most of them clearly.  Unlike the church on Kirk Wynd, the Rattray parish church is still in use.  However, I couldn't find either Robert Graham or Janet Wilson/Graham.  I did a very thorough and methodical check of every stone and when I found nothing, I checked again with even more thoroughness.

If there is a headstone, and it's legible, then I'm sure I wouldn't have missed it.  If Bereavement Services can give you any more information on the location of the graves (I assume they will be able to), then I'd be happy to check for you again.

And it's no problem that you asked about George Russell -- for all you were to know, I might have worked in Perth.

Tim

Offline melinda3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 April 11 17:38 BST (UK) »
Tim,

Thanks so much for looking for me. I suppose there is no headstone then which is a shame. You would think with Robert being a mason she would have had one. I will check and see if there is any other information. Thanks so much again! I really appreciate you taking the time.

Melinda
Russell - Perthshire
Napier - Aberdeen
Caird - St. Vigeans

Offline t1m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 April 11 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Melinda,

You're very welcome.  It is a shame there was nothing there, perhaps the headstone(s) is one of the few unreadable stones.  Do let us know whether or not you get any more information, and if necessary I can go back for you.

Tim

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 April 11 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Melinda

I had a quick look through the MI book for Rattray

No Grahams or Wilson's listed that I could see

Yours Aye
BruceL