Author Topic: Monaghan family, Fermanagh  (Read 6671 times)

Offline anitakate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Monaghan family, Fermanagh
« on: Tuesday 01 March 11 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information regarding John Monaghan b. 1850 Westmeath widowed in 1901 census and living in Maguiresbridge.  He married Mary Keenan in 1901 and had 3 or possibly 4 children - Margaret b. 1902, Daniel b.1904, John b. 1906 (possibly Matthew b. 1908).  Widowed again by 1911 census.  Any help or information would be appreciated.
Farnan, Ginnell, Macken, Monaghan, Murphy, Murray

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Monaghan family, Fermanagh
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 21:55 GMT (UK) »
For reference here's the family in 1911 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Fermanagh/Maguiresbridge/Drumgoon/525092

Which matches up to this Will Extract (www.proni.gov.uk)- looks like son Daniel followed John into police:
"Monaghan John of Drumgoon county Fermanagh farmer and R.I.C. pensioner died 23 April 1927 Probate Belfast 29 July to Daniel Monaghan constable R.U.C. Effects £36 4s. 3d."
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline anitakate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey and thank you so much for the information!  That indeed is the family in 1911.  There was a rumour that one of the sons had joined the police but I wasnt sure which one so that is just invaluable to know. And youve also provided me with a date of death!  Thank you so much.
In the 1911 census Marys parents, Thomas & Catherine Keenan have a grandson Matthew Monaghan aged 3 living with them so I am wondering if this is John and Marys son.  I havent found any details on line.

Offline jamesanthony1943

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 June 11 02:02 BST (UK) »
My name is Jim Monaghan, 1 of family of 8 and son of Matt Monaghan born 1908. His father was John Monaghan ex RIC  and his brothers were Dan and John. Sister was Margaret (Maggie) all born in Maguiresbridge (Drumgoon) My father was reared by his grand mother Keenan. I have a good knowledge of the roots and family since then.

Offline anitakate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 June 11 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamesanthony!  Thank you for your reply!  I am very excited to hear from you and have sent you a PM!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 June 11 20:06 BST (UK) »
New members usually need 3 posts to use PM system.

Offline anitakate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 June 11 22:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey!  Sorry I didnt realise jamesanthony that it was your first post and that you will need to post twice more to get my pm. 
I have info regarding the Monaghans including Johns siblings, parents and grandparents.  My grandmother was a niece of Johns.
Regards,
anitakate

Offline jamesanthony1943

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 June 11 22:55 BST (UK) »
Being new I am not sure what PM is. Whatever, no worries.I was born in Enniskillen and later our family returned to Maguiresbridge where Johh (grandfather) owned a farm at Drumgoon near the town.
There are 8 in my family, Matthew (Matt)being our Dad. Mary Ann Rafferty from Enniskillen is our Mum.  More later if needed.
John (my grandfather) from West Meath had how many brothers/sisters and where are the descendants living?

Jim M

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 June 11 22:59 BST (UK) »
PM = Personal Message which is used for exchanging personal details, email addresses, recent family details, information about living people- all of which you aren't allowed to post on the boards. Only you and the other person can see these PMs.
When you see a little green scroll under anitakate's user name (on left side of her posts) you can click on it, type message in the box then click 'send message' button. It's explained in the Help pages (see button at top of page)