Author Topic: McGinnis/ McGuinness  (Read 9884 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McGinnis/ McGuinness
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 March 22 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Haven't come across Zadock as a Christina name in Ireland but if their ancestor Zadock Leach was born in America it's more than likely it would have been an earlier generation who was born in Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dmcginnis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 March 22 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - that Leach family in America really knows little about their ancestor.  Evidently, there is some lore that their earliest known ancestor (Zadock Leach) may have been an indentured servant who took on the name of his American family - perhaps a child who was orphaned during passage?  Not sure.

Offline docrt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 25 August 22 01:13 BST (UK) »
Interesting name Zadok. It was definitely biblical but in this case it may have been due to a musical event in the 1700's. "Zadok the Priest was composed by Handel for the coronation of King George II in 1727.  Zadok the Priest has been sung prior to the anointing of the sovereign at the coronation of every British monarch".

Offline dmcginnis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 19 October 23 21:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry to have not returned to this conversation in a while - but I would like to provide another bit of Leech-McGinnis connections.  In the Griffith's valuations from around 1850, I find the following names living in the Carnamuff townland in the parish of Faughanvale, County Derry:  Hugh Logue, Joseph Leech, William Patterson (which I include because my emigrant ancestor married a Patterson), James McGuinness and Patrick McGuinness.  I also searched the Tithe Applotment books from the 1820s, but did not find any of these names except Patterson although there were McGinnis names (William and Samuel) in the Bolies townland.  My main point is that in the mid-1800s, the Logue, Leech and McGinnis/McGuinness families all lived near to one another.

Cheers,
Dave McGinnis