Author Topic: New Gray Street Sunderland  (Read 7955 times)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: New Gray Street Sunderland
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 March 11 13:26 GMT (UK) »
found an 1850's map which shows the location of New Grey St.On todays map it would be between Villiers St. & Little Villiers St.
It's still within a square mile of Deptford House so they probably moved after he became too ill to work & Jane Smith was as you say probably a local woman who nursed such cases & registered his death.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline jaypee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 March 11 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jim, that's amazing.

I have this morning found his wife Mary. She obviously continued to run the pub after Ambrose's death and she remarried in 1846 to a man called Peter Shevlin who became the publican in 1848. Mary died in 1849 and a John Shevlin then became publican of the Shoulder of Mutton until Ambrose brother Matthew Spearman Robson took over in 1851.

I've had an amazing couple of days solving the mystery of what happened to Mary. I may have to settle for that and not worry about where Ambrose died.

Thank you so much for your interest.

Jaypee

Offline Bill Crowder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 December 14 16:00 GMT (UK) »
My many times great grandmother, Im thinking, not definitely proved it yet was Jane Smith, mother of Ann Smith, they were from sunderland, the dobs are right, I wonder if these can be proved to be my family

Offline Cirencester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 16:00 GMT (UK) »
CORONERS' INQUESTS.
The Suicide at Sunderland.—On Monday afternoon, Mr Maynard held an inquest at the house of Mr Edward Robson, sign of the Shoulder of Mutton, Ropery Walk, Deptford, on the body of Dinah Forster, who committed suiride by hanging herself on Sunday morning. The deceased's husband, Peter Forster, who keeps the ferryboat plying between Deptford and Southwick and a neighbour, who cut the deceased down, were examined. It appears that five or six years ago Forster, who was formerly a shipbuilder the town, became reduced in circumstances, and the deceased, who, up to that time, bore an excellent character began to be unsettled in her habits and took to drinking. On many occasions she had remarked to her neighbour that she believed ...
she would make away with herself. On Saturday night the deceased was in her neighbour's house, but nothing particular was observed in her manner. The jury returned a verdict to the effect that the deceased had committed suicide whilst in a state of
temporary insanity.
Published: Saturday 12 August 1865
Newspaper: Newcastle Guardian and Tyne Mercury
County: Northumberland, England Did Edward Robson follow on from his father as landlord of 5he shoulder of mutton? This report is from 1865.

Offline Cirencester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Following from the previous post - this entry is 3 years later

Death at Deptford.—A publican from Deptford, named Robson, the landlord the Shoulder of Mutton, died suddenly Saturday night last.
Published: Saturday 12 December 1868
Newspaper: Shields Daily Gazette