Author Topic: travel between England & Australia  (Read 3254 times)

Offline Vilma

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: travel between England & Australia
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 March 11 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil and PrueM:

Elizabeth Chase Gent married Charles Usher Jones in 1843 in Sydney NSW. Charles born 1844 in Sydney (Volume: V1844915 45a) and Robert William born 1849 in Suffolk were baptised in Bungay on 15 Jul 1849, parents shown as Elizabeth Jones and Charles Usher Jones.
Elizabeth born 1822-1917  parents were Lewis Richard & Lydia (Chase) Gent. I can document my line through the Gents back to 1721.
Lydia Chase Gent's parents were Robert and Elizabeth (Thain) Chase.

Other than Charles Jones born 1844 Sydney I cannot verify any other children born in Sydney and apart from Charles and Robert William none were living in England after they return from Australia.

Thanks you both for assisting.

Offline emcqueen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 March 11 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I have a similar scenario to Vilma.  I have a Mary and Athalia White who arrived in Australia as assisted immigrants in 1844 aboard 'Royal Saxon' with their parents, Richard and Ann, and other siblings.  Sometime before 1848, Athalia and Mary have returned to the UK, as they have both married in Buckinghamshire in 1848.  Mary actually returned to Australia again as an assisted immigrant in 1855 with her husband, William Turnham.

Do you know if there are any passenger lists available for returns to the UK during this period (between 1844-1848)?  I am wanting to know if any of the other family members also returned to the UK.

Thankyou, Emily.

Offline Rushers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 June 11 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hello
Do you have any more info on the White family? My 2x graet grandmother was Athalia White, I know her father was Richard, she had a sister Mary (1841 census) from Chearsley, didn't know mother's name but Athalia married John Miles in July 1848, can you give me siblings names or any other info please.
Thanks
Brian