Author Topic: Docklands family, liverpool  (Read 12841 times)

Offline SusieKelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Docklands family, liverpool
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 November 11 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Liverpool, Lancashire, England, Catholic Baptisms, 1802-1906
Name:Margaret Harding
Birth Date:14 Jul 1855
Baptism Date:19 Jul 1855
Parish:St Albanīs Church
Father's Name:William Harding
Mother's Name:Mary

Name:Maria Joanna Harding
Birth Date:21 Jun 1857
Baptism Date:12 Jul 1857
Father's Name:Gulielmi
Mother's Name:Maria Grimes

Name: Josephas Harding
Birth Date:13 Nov 1859
Baptism Date:5 Dec 1859
Father's Name:Gulielmi
Mother's Name:Mana Gumes

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1852

HARDING William GRIMES Mary Liverpool, St. Peter Liverpool 

Offline Lal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 November 11 14:29 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor at the gasworks was Patrick Breen, and he was also born in Ireland, though as yet I've not had the slightest bit of success in finding out where, beyond a mention of Wexford in the 1911 census and that his father was named Lawrence (from his marriage cert). He and his wife and children were also Catholics.

It's possible the men and/or families knew one another as Patrick was also a fireman. I'd imagine securing a decent job like that was like winning a prize - a lot relied on casual dock labouring or carting.

As to the churches the Breens used...Patrick and Mary married at Holy Cross (he was not at the gas works at this point), children baptised at: St Antony, St Silvester and Our Lady of Reconciliation de la Salette. Our Lady's was a daughter parish of St Antonys. St Albans was on Athol Street - there's also a CofE St Albans in Liverpool - be careful!

There's a fantastic book my mum let me borrow recently (still available on Amazon): The Liverpool Docklands, Life and Work in Athol Street by Pat Ayers.
West Lancashire - Leatherbarrow, Hunter, Sherman, Formby, Caunce, Cookson, Wright, Finch, Roughley, Sutch, Almond, Parr, Lea, Smith, Wignal, Marsh, Lovelady
Liverpool - Cottam, Candeland, Stewart, Breen, Owens, Wiseman, Johnson, Cross
Cheshire - Monks, Candeland, Cottam
Co. Durham - Palmer, Adamson
Shropshire - Huffa
Wales - Owens. Ireland - Breen, Wiseman

Offline cview42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 21 November 11 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susie, Allan and Lal

Wow and woo-hoo!!! What can I say?? Thanks for your time and help.  I'd rejected Mary Grimes on the basis of believing, I think, that St Peter's was a Cof E church (What's Google for?) and having no corroborative evidence. That's given me a year to start searching from, and through the site tonight I'd also found James and Jane Sarah Wilikinson's marriage which I had known of, but not the year of 1878, and had the wrong middle name for her. Her old man, George, was a Preston born ship's engineer, he's my next objective, there can't have been too many of them around in the 50's and 60's.

William and James were both buried out at Ford, Will in a pauper's and James in a plot, and my American domiciled daughter went out to visit them a few years ago.

I promise I'll get a better research program, Findmypast is currently favourite, I guess Ancestry is better, but a bit more expensive, is it worth the difference? Both families are UK/Irish origin.

Once again thanks heaps, a great start for me on the site,

Cheers Pete

Offline WD8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 28 March 24 21:45 GMT (UK) »
This message is for Pete (cview 42). I have recently started tracing my family roots and I stumbled across this forum. When I saw your message regarding William Harding, I couldn't believe it as James (his son) was my Great Great Grandad! My Dad was the grandson of William Ernest Smith and Marian Gertrude Harding. I too have been unable to establish where in Ireland William Harding was from. Did you ever find out?! I'm truly shocked I have found your post although I think it was from a good while ago.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 April 24 00:09 BST (UK) »
Looking for William Harding's baptism in Ireland c1820 is tricky given that only some Irish records are available that far back however there is a baptism in Passage West, County Cork for a William Harding son of James Harding and Ann Melliford on 9th July 1820 that could be him:-

https://registers.nli.ie/pages/vtls000634966_132

The marriage at St Peter's CE Liverpool told us that William's father was called James Harding:-

Marriage: 9 Feb 1852 St Peter, Liverpool, Lancs.
William Harding - (X), Full, Labourer, Bachelor, Athol St
Mary Grimes - (X), Full, Spinster, Hornby St
Groom's Father: James Harding, Labourer
Bride's Father: Robert Grimes, Labourer
Witness: Richard Rice, (X); Alice Rice, (X)
Married by Banns by: J. F. Amos M. A. Curate

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9DF-K6YG?i=621&cat=122430

C   

Offline WD8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 April 24 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, Blue70!
Thank you so much for helping me with my research! I wasn't expecting anybody to reply. That is really useful information so I hope it might lead somewhere. I've only just started and I'm still getting to grips with searching different registers/databases.. it's not always easy. Thank you once again, I'm really grateful.
Kerry

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 07 April 24 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,

A little more information about the surname Harding in Ireland. It's an English surname that's been in Ireland for hundreds of years and this page below shows that a lot of the Hardings were located in County Cork:-

https://www.johngrenham.com/findasurname.php?surname=Harding

The 1901 & 1911 Irish census is free online and gives the religion of residents, in County Cork most Hardings were Roman Catholic:-

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

C

Offline WD8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 14 April 24 16:33 BST (UK) »
Apologies for taking so long in getting back to you, I got side tracked with the other side of my family! In that case I found out that my family was from Co.Donegal! Thank you for the information. I'm a bit stuck with the Harding side of the family but I'll persist and see if there's any joy from the Cork area. Thanks again!
K

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 14 April 24 16:58 BST (UK) »
Apologies for taking so long in getting back to you, I got side tracked with the other side of my family! In that case I found out that my family was from Co.Donegal! Thank you for the information. I'm a bit stuck with the Harding side of the family but I'll persist and see if there's any joy from the Cork area. Thanks again!
K

Records are few and far between that far back in Ireland but I would be quite happy if this was me with possibly identifying a baptism in County Cork, Ireland you may not be able to find out more but it's always nice to know where in Ireland an ancestral line came from.

C