Author Topic: Early 1800s Barony: Ann Milnes/Mills/Miller/Millar brickwall  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Early 1800s Barony: Ann Milnes/Mills/Miller/Millar brickwall
« on: Friday 04 March 11 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I've been looking at this myself for a while and wondered if a fresh pair of eyes may help me decide if I can move this query forward or if I should best give up!

I am trying to locate information on Ann Milnes/Mills/Miller, wife of Robert Fettes, a hosier/stocking maker; he was born in Montrose in 1774 and died in Montrose in 1844.

In the OPRs Ann is mentioned at her marriage of July 1800; ‘Robert Fettes, Stocking Maker, Glasgow, and Ann Milnes residenter there (long gap on paper) irregularly’.  I take the long gap and the ’irregularly’ to be because she is first mentioned in the OPRs a month before her wedding, as Ann Mills, at the christening of her child William in June 1800, witnesses Alexander Reid and John   Millroy/McIllroy. 

In 1803 she is mentioned as Ann Mills again at the christening of her son John, witnesses John Millroy/McIlroy and James Pollock.  In 1804 her daughter Margaret was christened, witnesses Andrew Duncan and Hector McDonald.  In 1808 she is listed as Ann Miller at the christening of ‘child 6’ (although there is no record of children four and five in the OPRs) Mary Ann, witnesses Robert Donaldson and John (unclear) Mufoil.  The OPRs mention the family living in Westmuir, Barony.  The last mention is as Ann Mills again at the birth of her seventh child in 1811, another John, witnesses John Anderson and Daniel McNeil/McNiel.

It looks as if the family followed the ‘usual’ naming pattern for Robert Fettes’ parents so am I looking for a father named John and a mother named Mary or Ann?  Although the fact that there are two births ‘missing’ may mean that this is not worth taking as ‘fact’.  The only other clue I have is that a grandchild of Ann has the middle name ‘Miller’ as opposed to ‘Milnes’ or ‘Mills’.  I’ve looked into the witnesses to see if any were married to anyone with a familiar surname but this has also proved fruitless.  I've also looked in the Newspapers and Post Office Directories of early 1800s Glasgow to try to find anything on these people but have found nothing. 

Thank you if you’ve managed to read this far and even more thanks if you have any ideas on this one. 

Offline Baltic

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Early 1800s Barony: Ann Milnes/Mills/Miller/Millar brickwall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 August 22 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Gali
I have been having the same problem as yourself with this family and when I saw you had posted on roots I just had to contact you and perhaps together we can together solve this brick wall.

I agree with all the information in your post but perhaps I am inclined to go with Mills as three births stated Mother as Ann Mills.  Depends on how her name was said when recorded.
"Irregular" marriages by exchange of promises before witnesses by betrothed and consummation by cohabitation and repute were forms of marriage recognised by Scots law yet may have taken place without any official record of the event (Scotland's People)  We were lucky that they did have it recorded.
Why would Robert born in Montrose go to Glasgow? Did he met Ann in Montrose or Glasgow? Robert on the 1841 census is back in Montrose without Ann who may have died?
Sorry I am running away with myself.

I am connected to their son John Winter Fettes whose daughter Susan Paul Bissett Fettes is my closest ancestor. What about yourself?
I hope that you see this reply to your query and you get in touch