Author Topic: Herbert and Frances Emma WALKER - Dewsbury - circ 1867  (Read 4017 times)

Offline jaybees

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert and Frances Emma WALKER - Dewsbury - circ 1867
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 March 11 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hullo Dave,

Thank you, yet again for supplying me with the image.   I have taken a copy, as you suggested.    I have very good reason to believe that this James absconded from his home as a young lad, changed his surname to BROUGHTON and went to sea in the Merchant Navy.    Eventually he ended up in Australia and became my Father.   I found him on the 1911 Census living in a Boarding House in Poplar.   On the Census he shows his place of birth as Ashington, but it has been overwritten, obviously by some official, to be Botany Bay, which I believe was or is located near Batley.   I'm still trying to prove that it is, in fact, James Ernest WALKER (alias BROUGHTON).

I have his World War One Medal Roll from the London Archives and that shows that he was born in Ashington in 1886.   This is the correct one because the Medal Numbers, engraved thereon, correspond with the medals I have in my possession.

Regards, Jim

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 06:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim,

Sounds complicated your James. You have what you asked for and was given the copy at our Fam history society by a friend-hence so posted it as you may like it for display in your tree.

Regards Dave

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline jaybees

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hullo David,

You have been a great help to me in my search and, once again, I want to say thank you ever so much.

Regards, Jim

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

You will have very good reasons to believe your James E Broughton was James E Walker. I can only advise you from what you have told me on locations birth given in records. Ashington is in Cumbria above Newcastle on Tyne. Botany Bay is in Lancashire Near Chorley & Preston that used to be part of Yorkshire but there is NO Botany bay near Batley or in Dewsbury area. Seeing that Ashington was given twice in records being 1911 census and army records for this James Broughton makes me think that was is birth place.

As I said this is only based on what you tell me and I do know the Dewsbury/Batley area well!

Anyway I would make this thread Completed Now!

Dave

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline jaybees

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert and Frances Emma WALKER - Dewsbury - circ 1867- (Completed )
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 10 March 11 04:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim,

Sounds complicated your James. You have what you asked for and was given the copy at our Fam history society by a friend-hence so posted it as you may like it for display in your tree.

Regards Dave