Author Topic: Bishop's transcripts for parish of Michelmersh, Hampshire.  (Read 2750 times)

Offline agoryliver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bishop's transcripts for parish of Michelmersh, Hampshire.
« on: Sunday 06 March 11 13:25 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone knows if Bishop's transcripts exist for the parish of Michelmersh, near Romsey, Hampshire. I'm aware that a parish register is missing, seemingly the one that I would need to further my research, typically! Perhaps they may have been transcribed and put on CD rom or printed? Any advice on this would be very gratefully received. Thanks.

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop's transcripts for parish of Michelmersh, Hampshire.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 March 11 14:40 GMT (UK) »
If they exist the Hampshire RO will have them-you could try e-mailing them and asking.

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 March 11 14:44 GMT (UK) »
According to their handbook the gaps in the Michelmersh registers are
1563-1579       1653-1660     1680-1718

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 March 11 20:45 GMT (UK) »
That sounds like more than one register missing.  :(

1653 - 1660 are quite common to find missing since this is when the country was in considerable turmoil  during the English Civil War.  Many registers, not just in Hampshire, were not completed properly and there are many records missing.  The incumbents may not have stayed in the parish when the Commonwealth ordered a different system to be used.  Someone may have kept a few records on scraps of parchment, but these may have gone missing by the time order was restored.

The early years - that could be a result of poor storage conditions: damp, vermin etc. 

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 March 11 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Sadly, the Michelmersh BTs held at HRO cover only the period 1780 - 1873 in 4 volumes under the Ref:  21M65/F8/174 on the Advanced Search facility of the CALM Database:  http://calm.hants.gov.uk/DServe/

I believe that earlier BTs for parishes in the Winchester Diocese were culled aeons ago due to the limitations of storage capacity within the Diocesan Archives.   
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline agoryliver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for the advice. I now know what to ask for the next time I go to HRO. The record that I need is a marriage c.1790 so hopefully, it may be there. Thanks again.