Author Topic: Parish register of Eling, Hampshire.  (Read 7779 times)

Offline agoryliver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish register of Eling, Hampshire.
« on: Sunday 06 March 11 13:40 GMT (UK) »
 I'm researching my ancestors with my own surname of Oliver in the parish of Eling, which is just to the west of Southampton, Hampshire. I've hit a sizeable brick wall because I cannot decipher the writing on the microfiches, it's too faint in many places. While I'm no expert, I can usually work out old handwriting as long as it's reasonably bold.
 What I'm wondering is if someone in the past has transcribed the parish registers for baptisms and burials in Eling? I have a CD rom of "Hampshire marriages" which contains Eling Marriages up until 1812. I know that the parish registers for Southampton and some of those East of Southampton have been transcribed, I use these regularly in Southampton Library.

Any help with this would be very gratefully received. Thanks.

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Parish register of Eling, Hampshire.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 March 11 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Who exactly are you looking for ?

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 March 11 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Knightroots has transcribed one marriage & 2 burials for Eling.

http://www.knightroots.co.uk/transcriptions/Parishes_E/Eling/Eling.htm

Some parishes have much better coverage.

For a full list of Hampshire Genealogical Society transcriptions see

http://www.hgs-online.org.uk/hgspubs.htm
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 March 11 20:30 GMT (UK) »
There are a large number of baptisms for people with Oliver as the surname in Eling.

Would you like to share the names of the parents and we can have a look for you.  At least it might help you decipher these illegible fiches.  ;)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline agoryliver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Nell for your offer.
  I have quite a number of baptisms that I'd like to find in Eling. The one I'd most like to find is of William Oliver. I have a copy of his death certificate stating that he died 6 June 1838 age 38. I also have a copy of his marriage from Eling parish register. This states that he married Elizabeth Peckham 27 Feb 1816. It also states that he was a minor and that the marriage took place with the consent of his father, another William Oliver. I've realised that it's quite possible that ge wasn't born in Eling so I've searched the neighbouring parishes too with no success.
  A couple of months ago, I spent an entire 8 hour session at Hampshire record office staring at 2 fiches of Eling baptisms for the years 1750-98. I thus gained about 3 sides of A4 paper of baptisms of Oliver's &  Meacher's as well as a thumping migraine.
  I wish that there was an easier way to search for them, although I guess that I must be grateful that the records exist.
  Thank you again for your time. Gary.

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Gary

There does not seem to be a baptism at Eling for William,there are these three around the right time-do the names of the children give a clue ?

19 Feb 1796-Eilliam s Joseph & Ann  Southampton St Mary
26 Dec 1797-William s James & Jane  Fareham
29 Jan 1797-William s William &  Elizabeth   Beaulieu

Offline agoryliver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 I have found and copied the baptism of William Oliver at Beaulieu 29 Jan 1797. It looks very promising to me. A quick search also found 3 siblings and 2 marriages of his father William as well as the burial entry of his first wife Elizabeth.
 I heartily thank you for this lead.

Gary.

Offline Richard A Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 May 11 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Bearkat,

I see from your footer that you're interested in the CROUTEAR and HARDING families from Hampshire.  Would this be in the Boldre area?  If so, and if you're interested in what I've got on these families (which for HARDING is very little), do drop me an email at 'richard AT ex-parrot DOT com'.  (Sorry for sending this to the forum, but I cannot see any way of sending a private message here.)

Richard

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 May 11 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard.

My CROUTEARS & HARDINGS are from Boldre.

I will be in touch.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk