Author Topic: Baptisms Creeting St Peter  (Read 5521 times)

Offline carolg13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptisms Creeting St Peter
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for going to all this trouble; it's very kind of you. I've already tried the church and I'm told they don't have the records; but I'll ask the Creeting St Mary lookup person in case they know. Cheers
Carol.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 22:36 GMT (UK) »
The Suffolk Surnames List does not have a volunteer for Creeting St Peter unfortunately.

Once the web site is live again, I do have other volunteers to add to the Suffolk Look Up Exchange.

In the meantime, perhaps if someone on the message boards is visiting the Suffolk Record Office, they may be able to carry out a look up for you (parish records are available at all three branches around the county).

Creeting St Peter is a small parish and there are only 6 fiche of PRs covering 1558 - 1900.

By the way, you have posted this on the wrong board, the reason I came to look was because I thought you were offering to carry out look ups for this parish and I was going to ask you to join the Suffolk Look Up Exchange at the Suffolk Surnames List  :D

Pat ...

PS churches do not have PRs, only the ones they are actually using at the moment, all past registers have been lodged at the Suffolk Record Office. The actual registers will be in the branch for the area of the parish.
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 23:05 GMT (UK) »
PS churches do not have PRs, only the ones they are actually using at the moment,

That may be the case in Suffolk but not everywhere, I've had to apply directly and pay for a search  to a church in Northampton as they havent been lodged with the records office. ::)
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 23:37 GMT (UK) »
I know that is often the case with churches that are not of the established church of England as well.

Bearing in mind the size of some of the smaller parishes in Suffolk, some of the registers still in use do go back a number of years .

We have borrowed our parish registers from the SRO in Bury St Edmunds for exhibitions etc when they have been displayed in the church.

I need to sort out a search for a Catholic church in London, I am told a generous donation usually helps with the search  :)

Pat ...
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline carolg13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 March 11 00:21 GMT (UK) »
The reason for my search for baptisms is that I'm trying to confirm the Fox's religion. I found in the directories a reference to a Congregational church at Creeting St Peter from 1884, from memory. But I've not been able to trace their records. Thanks for your help Pat and Patrish.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 March 11 11:04 GMT (UK) »
In the mid 1800s Creeting St Peter had a population of just over 200 inhabitants.  It is sometimes referred to as West Creeting.  If you take a look on Google maps, you will see the village today is very small indeed and surrounded by farm land, dominated by the main A14 road route (which takes containers to/from the port of Felixstowe).

Their website at OneSuffolk is new and pages are still being added to the site http://www.onesuffolk.co.uk/CreetingStPeterPC

I have checked through books at home and in my Kelly's of 1892 there is a reference to a small Congregational Chapel being in the village.

The Congregational church is now a part of the United Reform Church and I think it is possible a small chapel in a small parish might now be converted to use as a family home.  Might be worth checking on those maps via streetview.

As the adjoining parish of Stowmarket has a thriving URC church you could perhaps contact them to see if they can tell you any more about the existence of a Congregational chapel in Creeting St Peter.

http://www.stowmarket-urc.org.uk/history.html

Pat ...

I have to find two more!

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 March 11 11:15 GMT (UK) »
The reason for my search for baptisms is that I'm trying to confirm the Fox's religion.

Just to say that, in researching my husband's line over the last forty years, the family moved with the times.  In the early days they were Catholic, then when the changes came they became Anglican and then in the Victorian days they had a while with the non-conformists, some Congregational some Methodist and then in the 20th century they returned to the parish church.  Families often changed back and forth.

We have a lovely newspaper cutting from the late 1800s which refers to an ancestor and his wife always taking the front pew in the Congregational chapel.

Pat ...

I have to find two more!

Offline carolg13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 March 11 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Pat.

I've followed up your suggestions. That's interesting what you say about the fickle faiths! The Foxes have me totally confused. My g-g-grandmother, Ellen Fox, emigrated to OZ in 1886 aged 8 and in 1930 she wrote a letter to the rector of Creeting St Peter requesting her birth record. However, her mother identified herself as Congregational initally in OZ, even though her first Australian born was baptised C of E. But eventually they became fully fledged C of E and most remain so today (though mainly just for major rites of passage).

By the way, you wouldn't happen to have directories for the 1870s by any chance. The 1881 census confirms that the family lived at Creeting Hall, but I'm looking for evidence of them living there earlier, possibly at the time of Ellen's birth, 1877 at Creeting St Peter.

I appreciate your help
Cheers
Carol

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 March 11 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,  Been keeping a lowish profile, Bronchitis and the medication keeps making me feeling drowsy (or just plain dozey  ;D

At home I have only White's 1844 and 1855
Kellys' 1892 and 1937
Framlingham College Yearbook

There are lots more directories at the SRO, all available on open shelves so you just help yourself and have a look.

Not sure if the Leicestershire Uni website will be of use to you in your search?
http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/

Pat ...
I have to find two more!