Author Topic: looking for grandparents  (Read 4827 times)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: looking for grandparents
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 March 11 18:41 GMT (UK) »
i,ve found this record for a william roberts in clip the ships and crew records ships name abel he,s listed as master from 1863 -1870 i,m wondering if it,s too early though for your william have you a birth date for him will have a search for those ships names  .
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 March 11 18:50 GMT (UK) »
me again
just a thought in that letter are there any numbers by the ships names or any sort of other info
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Patandjohnuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 March 11 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi, overview of the info i have and have found today as well.

1. 1920 William Frederick Robertson Atherton marries Alma Jeane Fitzpatrick Howard (information on marriage certificate)
2. 27 Nov1922 Daughter born Durban, registered Eileen Marie Terese Atherton
3. 1923 Herbert Roberts issued new passport Liverpool
4.  Herbert Roberts arrives Cape Town 19 Nov 192 ?
5.  Around Jan 1924 William Frederick Robertson Atherton  willfully and maliciously deserts Alma Jean and child Johannesburg. (court papers)
6. 14 April 1925 court orders 1 publication in Sunday Times Johannesburg that William must enter an appearance by 13 May 1925.
7. 15 June 1925 Divorce and custody of minor child granted to Alma Jeane
8. Alma Jeane marries Herbert Roberts 4  November 1925 Wynberg Cape Town

Today I found a Record of Alma Jeane Atherton and child arrive Melbourne per Balranald 12th October, 1924. (note only uses name Atherton)

Record of Grazing Licence for Crown Land Northern Territory for William Atherton (born 1892) 12 months ending 30 June, 1927 Canberra.

From this information I have, i am assuming that William abandoned Alma Jeane and his child in around Jan 1924  and possibly left for Australia (see grazing licence,) if that is in fact is him.  In Oct 1924 Alma Jeane and child arrived in Melbourne possibily to look for him ?  She returned to South Africa and the divorce was granted in Johannesburg in 1925.  This could back up my father telling me they had gone to Australia for a short time.  Now why did Herbert Roberts arrive  in Cape Town sometime between 1923-1925 (can only read 192- on the stamp in his passport)was he helping to look for William?.  Wonder how and when she met Herbert Roberts who she married in 1925 ?? was he a friend/relative?

Still cant find record of Alma Jean Fitzpatrick birth record in Tasmania. I am assuming that William was born in England.

Can anyone help fill in some gaps.  thank you  ??? :)
Patricia.

Offline Patandjohnuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 March 11 22:04 GMT (UK) »
i,ve found this record for a william roberts in clip the ships and crew records ships name abel he,s listed as master from 1863 -1870 i,m wondering if it,s too early though for your william have you a birth date for him will have a search for those ships names  .
trevor

Hello Trevor, yes that is a bit early, but may have been a relative of his or even his father (see Carols post, the William aged 44 in 1901) Herbert Roberts was born on 8 Feb 1892. He was 1st and 2nd mate and then Master some of the ships he worked on -- Valeria, Andania, Ausmea, Carparthia, Pannonii, Saxonia, Pathan from 1917-1919. 

He was my mothers 2nd husband.  Need to find the information about William Frederick Robertson -Atherton who was first husband to Alma Jean Fitzpatrick Howard . (see all updated info on my previous post)

thank you so much for showing an interest, much appreciated.

Patricia. :)

Offline amram

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 March 11 07:25 GMT (UK) »
This same thread is happening on britishgenealogy forum. A lot of info there (including William Frederick Atherton had officially changed his name from Roberts) and a duplication of effort.!.
SKINNER - Manchester/Newark, Notts
WILSON, MORRIS, LARKIN, CURLEY, McCLUSKEY, KELLY - Manchester
McDERMOTT - Roscommon, Ireland
BALLAM - Wigan/Manchester/Ashton

Offline Patandjohnuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 July 11 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Amram,  thanks for all your help , there is never a duplication of effort as every little bit can change a story, even just one little word, and I truly appreciate all the help everyone has given me. :) ;)