Author Topic: Transportation  (Read 9316 times)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Transportation
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 12 November 11 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Well it's probably all in the pronunciation, Redroger!

There were nationalities other than English, too.  Plus by 1830s and 1840s there could be two generations of native born who wouldn't know the difference.
And there are still lots of people who don't.  Just because something is well known in one part of the world doesn't mean it will necessarily be so, in another part of the world.     :D  :D  :D
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 November 11 16:10 GMT (UK) »
That intrigues me Dawn, who were the other nationalities please? I thought the early settlement of Australia was from the UK in its entirity, apart from Richie Benaud that is!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 13 November 11 20:59 GMT (UK) »
That intrigues me Dawn, who were the other nationalities please? I thought the early settlement of Australia was from the UK in its entirity, apart from Richie Benaud that is!

May I butt in please  ;D 

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/caesar-john-black-12829

If religion can be a pointer to nationality just looking at surnames A - C:

Mohammedan followers included:

William BONO ex the Active of 1820
John BOXO, ex the Mary Ann of 1805
Abraham CULLEN ex the Friendship of 1816

Malay followers included:
Abraham ANTHONY, ex the Mary Elizabeth 1828
Abraham BACON, ex the Guildford 1824
Roger de COVELY, ex the HA WEIS 1827

Hindu followers included:
Ramdial (unsure of family name) ex the Mary of 1818

The British sphere of influence post 1776 caused the remaining British Territories to organise for their locals under sentence of transportation to be shipped to the new penal colony of New South Wales.   So for example Courts (including Courts Martial) in Bermuda, Caymen Islands, British Virgin Islands, Anguilla, Montserrat, Antigua, St Kitts, etc ... well these were some of the places where convicted persons, under a secondary sentence or under a severe initial sentence may have come from  :D 

Redroger, it is a very very good question, and there's many generations of school teachers in NSW who have allowed their students to believe that those who were transported to our shores were ONLY white Anglo-Saxons from the United Kingdom. 

There is also a school of thought that recognises that as the English Slave Traders were being abolished, their ships Masters and Crew were transferred to the transportation of convicts to NSW.  And of course crew could jump ship  :-X

Trivia :

1788 the First Fleet arrived.  Was Ireland part of the United Kingdom at that time?  NO, it wasn't.  It was merged in 1801.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Rebellion_of_1798 
 http://members.pcug.org.au/~ppmay/rebels.htm

Cheers,  JM   (NSW centric = please do not ask me to recite in the correct order ... (or to remember all of them either) the names and dates for the Kings and Queens of England.  I learnt it at school, but  .... senior moments prevail  ;) )

PS, this is a brief overview, of course the majority of those transported were "British Stock".  :)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 13 November 11 22:11 GMT (UK) »
I nearly forgot James Squire, a Romani,  and Arthur Phillip, son of a Frankfurt chap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Squire

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/phillip-arthur-2549

There's plenty more, but ...

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 14 November 11 09:28 GMT (UK) »
And Billy Blue was a negro transported from England, probably originated (or his family did) in Jamaica.
And no I'm not black - he married a very fair English woman and I've got her colouring.
But his type of hair according to my hairdresser!  Strong and thick.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 14 November 11 09:50 GMT (UK) »
 ;)

Gov Macquarie preferred Billy Blue's ferry services over my forebear's ferry services  ;) 

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 14 November 11 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Are you descended from Berry?

I shan't hold that against you   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Dawn M

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 14 November 11 10:16 GMT (UK) »
 :) Now how could a Bowman connect to a Berry  ;D

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 14 November 11 11:28 GMT (UK) »
:) Now how could a Bowman connect to a Berry  ;D

That would depend on the size of both the arrow and the berry I would think! However, majm thanks very much for the details, the situation is much as I expected really.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)