Author Topic: Agnes Douglas Tait  (Read 3784 times)

Offline Neilr65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Agnes Douglas Tait
« on: Tuesday 08 March 11 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if anyone can help me.  I've been trying to trace my wife's family tree and we appear to have failed at the first hurdle.  We are trying to find details of her mother, Agnes Burns ms Tait.  We have two documents, her marriage certificate and her death certificate.  From her marriage certificate we have her parents names as George Tait and Robina Tait ms Robertson and her age as 25.   She has told the family that her birthday was 15th Sept 1915 and that she was born in Berwick Upon Tweed but moved to Oxton in Scottish Borders to live with her granny as both her parents had died.

I registered the death and the information would be from her marriage certificate and the dob from my mother in law herself.   This would seem straight forward, but when I tried to order a copy of the birth certificate from the GRO, I received an email back telling me they could not locate any birth with the details I have supplied.  I have also tried the General Registrar for Scotland just in case it was Berwickshire she was born, but still can find no trace.
Couple of questions:
1.   Is it possible that her birth was never registered ? 
2.   It is normal for a birth certificate to be produced before a marriage, but during wartime would they relax the rules ?
I have also posted this on the Northumbria Board.
Any answers or ideas would be appreciated.
Neil

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Douglas Tait
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Neil

Just adding the link to the other post www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,513253.0.html

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ann31

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 April 11 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Neilr65
                Don't know if i can be any help struggling myself  but have you phoned the records office in Berwick Upon Tweed they were really helpful I've had a look on ancestry and there are a few Tait's in the Berwick area if my memory serves me right  i think the surname Tait came up somewhere in the Borthwicks tree that i am researching  also from Berwick when i get  a time i will look for you  might be no connection but worth a try !! :)
                                                                                  Ann
Haswell .Borthwick
Berwick Upon Tweed

Offline Neilr65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 April 11 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,
Thanks for idea, I've not contacted Berwick records office, although I did apply for a birth certificate for that date with a place of birth of Berwick but with no joy.  I retire in a couple of months and as I'm only about 50 miles from Berwick I will nip down and make further enquiries there.

Thanks for your interest, good luck in your own research.

Neil

Offline ann31

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 April 11 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil
           Ive been looking on ancestry this morning and through contacts I've found a Ruth Tait born 1861 she married Alexander Watson Borthwick on the 11 02 1880 in Berwick don't know if they belong to you i also found a Robina Tait in the 1871 census born 1819 aged 52  born in Scotland living in liverpool but she was a widow so that doesn't fit in with Agnes Tait's birth date but it could be a connection . If you phone the records office in Berwick you can make an appointment I'm sure they will be able to help you  good luck 
                                                                                             Ann
Haswell .Borthwick
Berwick Upon Tweed

Offline Neilr65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 April 11 12:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ann, will do.