Author Topic: National Archive - Have I made a mistake  (Read 4963 times)

Offline Jon Byrne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
National Archive - Have I made a mistake
« on: Tuesday 08 March 11 22:47 GMT (UK) »
I have just requested an estimate for a copy of my Grandfathers "Seaman's Pouch" and thought it would be easier to get it delivered digitally. However I have just found this list and see that the price for a digital copy is £2.10 per image and the photocopy is £0.40 per copy.

Am I reading this wrong?

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: National Archive - Have I made a mistake
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 01:03 GMT (UK) »
They certainly seem to have increased the price since I ordered some a couple of years ago!

Try requesting an estimate for both types and see how it pans out.  Estimates are available on the order form section.

Christine

Offline Jon Byrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!

I have done that, it seems a bit crazy but the cheaper the better as this Genealogy is getting expensive with all the certificates etc.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 23:23 GMT (UK) »
The costs certainly can run high but I never buy a certificate unless I absolutely need to.  I work on parish records as much as possible, using baptism and burial dates instead of birth and death.  It all depends on how easy/difficult it is for you to access parish records.

Christine

Offline Jon Byrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 March 11 22:48 GMT (UK) »
To be fair I have been quite lucky so far and have only bought one cert, although I am not that far back yet I have found out about my Grandfather who I only knew his first and last name, a rough idea of where he lived and his Fathers name, I was surprised to find my guestimate of his age was 20 years out and I was a county out on his birth.

But within 2 months I have found out plenty about him, his Mother & Father, his 7 siblings and am in contact with a number of 1st cousins a number of times removed.

Just to let you know  I have got the quotes back and they where both the same £5.60 for 2 x A3 documents copied\scanned in mono.

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 March 11 16:07 GMT (UK) »
The prices for paper copies are if you go to Kew and do the research yourself.
It depends on how much detail there is in a Seamans Pouch on how much they charge for a digital copy. Last time I asked (two months ago) the charge was £5.60 but I know TNA online copying charges can vary wildly. There does not seem to be a fixed price.
His pouch will not give you very much detail on the ships he sailed on or the places he sailed to. You need to look for his form CRS 10 in BT382. I know people who have been quoted £45 for a copy of this form. However I am informed you can apply for a copy under the Freedom of Information Act but you would need to furnish TNA with proof of ID. The cost would be £10.
If he was involved in WW2 you should be able to download his medal entitlement here
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/seamens-medals.asp
WW1 here
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/browse-refine.asp?CatID=45&searchType=browserefine&pagenumber=1&query=*&queryType=1

Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Jon Byrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 March 11 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Seaweed,

I have just requested an estimate for his CRS10 that you mentioned so hopefully that will help. I have not been able to find any record in the medal list, the time he was in I believe covered the war.

Thanks

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 00:29 GMT (UK) »

I assume that he served in WW2. If you get hold of his CRS10, Just make another post for help with interpretation.
If you are interested in obtaining his medals. (Lot's of people did not claim them)  then this is one of the documents you need to  apply for them.  A copy of his seamans pouch would also be of assistance but first things first.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Jon Byrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 13:57 GMT (UK) »
When I hear back from the National Archives on his CRS10 I will get it ordered straight away.

If he was due medals and did not claim them I would like to obtain them if possible as something for future generations to remember him by. Although in the last few weeks he has gone from someone I barely knew the name of to a real person who I have a few pictures of.