Author Topic: Address Clarification  (Read 2943 times)

Offline joolesbarr

• I am sorry but my email address is not working at the moment.
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Address Clarification
« on: Wednesday 09 March 11 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

In the 1881 census, my ancestors address is 6 Matthews Tent, Temperance Street, Torquay.  On the same page there is 3, 4 and 5 Matthews Tents as well.
This address is on a Romany ancestry site but I suspect that is because they have done a blanket search for the word tent and just added it.
My question is this, what does the Matthews Tent mean?  In the 1891 and 1901 census, my ancestors are still living in Temperance St/Place but no mention of Matthews Tent.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

Julia
Chenery, Eastley, Bennellick, Easton, Puddicombe, Hearn, Madge, Kennard, Scrivener, Davy, Meen, Cook, Salter, Turner, Jewell, Crossman, Moore, Collacott, Lockyer, Beer, Sellek, Fley, Retter, Widger, Rowden, Snell, Light

Offline kmart66

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Address Clarification
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Could it mean Matthews Tenement??

Kevin
Brightlingsea families
Martin, Day, Frostick, Salmon

faber est quisque fortunae suae

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 14:37 GMT (UK) »
There are quite a lot of "tent"s in that area in 1881.

But also some "Tenements".
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline joolesbarr

• I am sorry but my email address is not working at the moment.
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both, by tents do you mean actual tents, like my idea of holiday hell, the canvas types?
Chenery, Eastley, Bennellick, Easton, Puddicombe, Hearn, Madge, Kennard, Scrivener, Davy, Meen, Cook, Salter, Turner, Jewell, Crossman, Moore, Collacott, Lockyer, Beer, Sellek, Fley, Retter, Widger, Rowden, Snell, Light

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 19:20 GMT (UK) »
They were tenements- buildings/houses in multiple occupancy. Although the street still exists, virtually nothing of the old buildings are left. A lot of the land is empty- with plans to redevelop, there is a multi storey carpark, and a former chapel now used by a charity, and I think the old pub is still standing (but last time I was that way it was closed down). Was also the site of the first Torquay Gas Works- site empty at present because of contamination.
Runs behind Union Street, and on the one side at the top you can just about make out the remnants of some of the cottages, most now redeveloped into shop extensions/stores.
There were numerous streets in that area where the population appears very high for the size of street, and they were all rooming houses as in Temperance Street. On the census look at Pimlico, Spring Place, Lower Union Lane they were all the same.
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay