Author Topic: Jeremiah and Sarah KELLY Family from Ennis, Clare  (Read 5161 times)

Offline dasmurphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jeremiah and Sarah KELLY Family from Ennis, Clare
« on: Thursday 21 April 05 07:22 BST (UK) »
I am researching my wife's KELLY family.  She is a descendant of Thomas KELLY, born c 1796 son of Jeremiah and Sarah KELLY, married c 1830 to Ellen CURTAIN and died 29 Dec 1864 at Ballarat, Victoria, Australia.  I have not been able to find the shipping records for the migration of Thomas and Ellen KELLY to Australia.  Is it possible that Thomas KELLY was a convict?

The children of Thomas and Ellen KELLY were Patrick (c1835-1903), Jeremiah (c1845-1872), Thomas, Daniel (c1846-1920), Ellen (c1847-1928) and Sarah.

The Griffiths Valuation 1855 (surname list) of landholders lists many KELLYs  including several Jeremiah, Martin, John and Patrick KELLYs.  As to Jeremiah KELLY, there are 4 of them listed at 4 different townlands in the parish of Dysert in the Poor Law Union of Ennis, including one at Ballygriffy North.  While Thomas and Sarah KELLY may well have emigrated to Australia by 1855, it is likely that Thomas' father, Jeremiah KELLY, remained at Ennis.  The fact that there are 4 listings does not necessarily mean that there were 4 different people - one Jeremiah KELLY may have held more than one parcel of land in the parish.  Landowners in 1876 included Jeremiah KELLY at Ballygriffy, Ennis, County Clare (384 acres). 

So, while there is some guesswork involved it is, I think, an educated guess that our Jeremiah KELLY - and through him, Thomas KELLY - came from Dysert in Ennis, County Clare.

Can anyone please help with information or advice about this KELLY family and exactly (which townland and parish) where they were from?  It would be great if we could find a death certificate in Ireland for Jeremiah or Sarah KELLY.