Author Topic: Shirley orphanage, near Southampton  (Read 14833 times)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shirley orphanage, near Southampton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 March 11 13:31 GMT (UK) »
The Hampshire CALM database shows that it was the home of Rev Robert Durant Buttemer and his wife Mary in the late 1800s

There is also a Land review form: 'Ashdene', 133 Regents Park Road, Southampton (children's home, in association with Forest View Family Resource Centre dated 1988.

http://calm.hants.gov.uk/DServe/Advsearch.htm
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 March 11 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi bearkat

That is the Barnardos Home in Shirley Southampton but it isn't in Wordsworth Road. Barnardos acknowledge this home on their website with the phoptograph.

The information they give has already been included, which mentions Wordsworth Road. Ashdene seems to be a home for boys.

'Ashdene,
33 Regents Park Road,
Shirley,
Southampton.
Opened 1902 as a home for boys. 1929 provided training for girls moved from Wordsworth Road. 1939-40 a hostel for shipping boys. Closed during war years 1939-45.
Closed December 1973.'

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 March 11 13:53 GMT (UK) »
The 1925 Kellys Directory lists

16, Wordsworth Road Dr Barnado's Homes (National Incorporated Association), Training Home for Girls.
Mrs R E YOUNG, matron

It was situated between Didcot Road & Winchester Road.

http://www.plimsoll.org/images/1925streetf_tcm4-165274.pdf

Try looking at Google streeview - it's either now a block of flats or it's the house behind the bushes next door.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toysandboats

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 March 11 22:46 GMT (UK) »
If you type: Wordsworth Road, Southampton  into Google Street View, then move in front of the second house along towards Winchester Road from Didcot Road (actually going north west along Wordsworth Road). The house has 4 green wheely bins in the front garden.
Look up at the front of the house and there is a large cream coloured scroll  on the wall just above the upstairs windows that says "Barnardo Memorial Wing".

This must be the house that you want

Good Luck

David
Hooker (London & Hampshire), Wright (Hampshire & Staffordshire), Miller (North Shields)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 March 11 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It looks like it might have once been all three of those houses - the two to the left seem connected. Great finding the plaque is still there. If Barnardoes can't produce a photograph of the house in an earlier period try Southampton Archives and see if they have anything. The numbers in the street may have been renumbered because this doesn't seem to be 16 now?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tricie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 March 11 08:47 GMT (UK) »
I am so grateful for all your help, particularly for this latest info. on the house with the 'Barnardo Memorial Wing'.  I will be going into Google street view asap.

Offline mellytm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi ,dont kno if you stil need help,but i used to live in a barnados home,called ashdene,in regents park road,20years ago.it did close down a few years later.but i lived there for 6years.if i can be of any help plz let me kno

Offline madge2

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 April 12 17:02 BST (UK) »
Tricie

I do not know if you now have the information you need. I am part of of group called the Friends of St James Park. The park is the other side of Wordsworth Road Southampton from the home you are interested. We have a history research group who are looking into the history of the area around the park, including this home.
If you care to get in touch via our website http://www.fosjp.org.uk/
we may be able to help you.

Madge

Offline Farmlass

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 May 12 11:18 BST (UK) »
Were the Barnados the only organisation running orphanages/childrens' homes in the Southampton area? In 1953 I was placed in a home in Southampton for 9 months and taken out at 18 months. My first memories are of this place. I would like to try and find out where it was. The people who rescued me can't remember the details or location. Does anyone know if there were other places in or around Southampton. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Ashdene. Look forward to any information that could help me with my search.