Author Topic: William CARR  (Read 17996 times)

Offline pwh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William CARR
« Reply #45 on: Friday 10 February 12 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Jon
     The more you dig into this quite extraordinary saga the more confusing and bizarre
it gets. You will recall that on Ann Norahs obit   there is a refence by name
to William Carr but no mention of the name of Ann norahs married sister. Given the
evidence that would have to be Magaret. That begs the question why,but i think i have
the ansewr to that. By the time the whole saga was unfolding over several colonies and a
succession of court cases , Ann Norah ,who had herself at one time been charged with
perjury in this matter, was a midwife, a position of some respecibility in Rockhampton.
If you use the link to the Illustrated Australian News of 20/2/1884 , in a previous post
you will see that Magaret is reported as running a brothel in Melbourne under the name
pf Mrs Smith.  Given the conventions of the time i think that Ann would have gone to great lengths to bury the family scandal. As for the Royal Dane passenger list that is still not
found.
                                                               Regards
                                                                        Peter

Offline pwh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 10 February 12 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Jm
          There were indeed other Keelings in the colonies, but i cant see a connection
between those Keelings and our Joseph.
                                                               Peter

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 10 February 12 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Unclaimed letters for March 1868
Miss S. A. Keeling, Rockhampton.

Unclaimed letters for March 1871
Joe Keeling, Rockhampton.

Unclaimed letters for July 1875
Joseph Keeling, Rockhampton.

Queensland Government Gazette, 31st July 1870.
Business Licence for the Rockhampton Gold Fields.
793, Joseph Keeling.

Regards
Gerry

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 10 February 12 01:39 GMT (UK) »
 :)

Queensland Government Gazette, Saturday 22 July 1865
Returns of all applications for Timber Licenses, made to the Bench of Magistrates at Clermont,from the 1st day of January to the 30th day of June, 1865, both inclusive.

William CARR, £1, granted a Hardwood licence.   

So it seems to me that there was already another William Carr in Queensland when the Royal Dane arrived in Queensland in July 1865.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline pwh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 10 February 12 22:57 GMT (UK) »
David,
           I have come across another newspaper article regarding Magaret Keeling. Wiliam
Greenough appeared in a Melbourne court charged with bigamy. The article in the Argus
is dated 14/2/1884. One of the witnesses was Joseph Keeling , the son of our Joseph.
In his evidence he remembered  living with his parents in London, just prior to His fathers
hasty departure to Australia. He also said that he resided at Leighton Buzzard, and had
arrived in Victoris "on the 31st ult". I take that to mean he arrived in Victoria on 31/1/1884.
He said he last saw his mother on7/12/1883. Can you confirm that he was living in Leighton Buzzard in 1883? You can read the article for yourself on
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/article/11845075?searchTerm-m.
                                                                             Thanks
                                                                                          Peter

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 10 February 12 23:28 GMT (UK) »

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 10 February 12 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter

Is this particular  post actually meant for your thread on the Bedfordshire board or is it for your thread about Jane Keeling and son on the Australian board or for your thread about Margarget Greenough on the Australian Board ...

Cheers JM

David,
           I have come across another newspaper article regarding Magaret Keeling. Wiliam
Greenough appeared in a Melbourne court charged with bigamy. The article in the Argus
is dated 14/2/1884. One of the witnesses was Joseph Keeling , the son of our Joseph.
In his evidence he remembered  living with his parents in London, just prior to His fathers
hasty departure to Australia. He also said that he resided at Leighton Buzzard, and had
arrived in Victoris "on the 31st ult". I take that to mean he arrived in Victoria on 31/1/1884.
He said he last saw his mother on7/12/1883. Can you confirm that he was living in Leighton Buzzard in 1883? You can read the article for yourself on
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/article/11845075?searchTerm-m.
                                                                             Thanks
                                                                                          Peter
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline SherlockBones

• RootsChat Veteran
  • today is the beginning of the future of yesterday
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 10 February 12 23:57 GMT (UK) »
You can read the article for yourself on http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/article/11845075?searchTerm-m.

Peter
The link you posted does not appear to be working. For me at least. I get a "Oops page does not exist" message

Jon
AUSTRALIA WAS ALWAYS DESTINED TO BE A GREAT COUNTRY. AFTER ALL WE HAD THE WORLD'S BEST JUDGES SELECTING ITS INHABITANTS.

Offline pwh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 10 February 12 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Jm,
         Given the fact that most of the central characters in this saga are in both threads
i would think that they are different chapters of the same story.

Peter