Author Topic: STRUTH marriage York  (Read 5026 times)

Offline robweldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: STRUTH marriage York
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 June 11 08:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandymc
Another child is Elizabeth Anne born 28 Dec 1832, but she died in 1851.
I think these are the only two Oz children for William and Elizabeth.
Rob

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 June 11 19:53 BST (UK) »
Rob,

I see that Sylvia was baptised in Stillingfleet.  I can look this up in the register for you next time I am at the Borthwick Institute which should give William's occupation.

I can also look up the marrige record in the register although in 1830 it may not add a lot but sometimes there are usful extra bits of information such as witnesses.

Will post again when I have had chance to do the look ups.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robweldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 June 11 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Pinetree
That would be great if you could check those two things for me.
Regards, Rob

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 June 11 18:06 BST (UK) »
Marriage St Michael Le Belfrey:

William Struth of this parish stone mason and
Elizabeth Payne otp
by banns with the consent of those required
married 20 June 1830 by James Richardson officiating minister

WS - signed his name, EP made her mark

witnesses: Margaret Greenfiled, Mary Cowper, James Young and Harold? Dund?

Baptism - Stillingfleet: 21 November 1830 - Sylvia daughter of William and Elizabeth Struth of Moreby - carpenter.

The occupation of stone mason on the marriage entry looks promising although annoyingly inconsistent on the baptism record.  If I was a betting woman (and I couldn't possibly comment!) I think this is your man!

One of my hubby's ancestors was a stone mason and he travelled all over Yorkshire - I think it was one of those jobs where they had to go where the work was.

Hope that is of some help.

all the best

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robweldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 June 11 06:40 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Pinetree for the very quick reply.
There's no parent names on that marriage certificate but at least we have a connection with the occupation.
None of the witnessess are known to me either, but your comment about the travelling stonemasons has helped.
I'm pretty sure I've got the right William now, and guess that I should search a bit harder in Tasmania.
cheers, Rob

Offline espiegel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 August 16 04:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob
Elizabeth Payne was my ggg grandmother; Sylvia Struth my gg grandmother.

Always assuming that I've go the right people:
William and Elizabeth have two more daughters in Tasmania, Elizabeth Anne 28/12/1832 - 3/12/1858 and Sophia William b 17/9/1834.
I can't find evidence of William's death, but 28/5/1836, Elizabeth STRUTH marries William RANDS; they have a daughter Isabella RAND b 15/4/1842. William STRUTT - also a stonemason! - is a witness at this wedding.
Again, no evidence of William Rand's death, but 4/3/1844 Elizabeth has a daughter Mary Ann WETTON. 2/7/1849 she marries Francis WETTON.
Francis dies 12/8/1858, leaving his estate to his eldest living son George. Elizabeth dies 12/3/1865 - death certificate says aged 60, born Scotland.

Contact me if you want the supporting evidence for this lot.

Offline robweldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 August 16 06:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the message espiegel
My line actually starts with Alexander Struth born Polwarth 1809, but he has different parents to William, and I was trying to connect their grandparents somehow.
Do you know that Francis Wetton was a convict who arrived 1835, and wanted to marry Elizabeth Struth in 1836, but permission was denied? He is also a witness at the birth of Isabella Rand in 1842, and I suspect he is the father. He is a witness at the marriage of Ann Struth, and I believe that this is actually Sophia William born 1834.
The licence for the "Marquis of Hastings" was transferred from Joseph Jackson, husband of Sylvia, to Francis Wetton in 1852. There was a court claim by Elizabeth Wetton to recover possession of this public house which was conveyed to her on her marriage to Francis, but like you said, son George got the lot.
Please let me know if you agree with any of this.
Always good to find another Struth,
regards Rob

Offline espiegel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 August 16 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob

I was aware that Francis was a convict – described as a widower with five children! He also pops up as informant ‘friend’ at the birth of Sylvia’s first child, Hannah Struth (born in1849 after her marriage to Joseph Jackson, but no father named on the registration) and again as informant ‘grandfather’ at the birth of Sylvia’s son – my great grandfather – Joseph Francis Jackson in 1853.

I have a gazette record for 1861 showing Elizabeth Wetton as occupant of an inn in Hill St, with George as owner, but didn’t know about Elizabeth’s attempt to claim ownership back from him. George is described in Francis’s intestacy papers as his ‘eldest surviving son’, but I’ve no idea whether he is one of the 5 children Francis had before his conviction or not. A George Wetton drowns in 1863 aged 32.

Will have to take a look at the land ownership records in the archives on Monday.

What leads you to think that Ann = Sophia William?

regards, Elizabeth

Offline robweldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 August 16 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth
There is a newspaper report about Wetton v Wetton 15.12.1858, in the Hobart Town Daily Mercury.
I have no proof that Ann is actually Sophia William, only that Sophia's name is never seen after her birth, and Ann's name is never seen before her marriage.
Rob