Author Topic: John Purcell and Mary Fleming near St. Mullins  (Read 14551 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John Purcell and Mary Fleming near St. Mullins
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 13:12 GMT (UK) »
St. Mullen's is within Co. Carlow and all the family except John list Co. Carlow as place of birth on the Census returns, so I'll move this thread there for now.

The confusing part is that the Civil Registration district based in New Ross covers a large part of Co. Wexford but also includes parts of Co. Kilkenny and extends north as far as parts of southern Co. Carlow, including St. Mullens.

You mentioned Graiguenamagh earlier, which is in Co. Kilkenny and about 8km north of St. Mullens and is located right beside the border with Co. Carlow.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Paul VD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Purcell and Mary Fleming near St. Mullins
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 September 11 11:52 BST (UK) »
Shane,
I have some new information, I was able to contact the descendent of a man who married Johannah, a.k.a. Hanna Purcell. she was indeed born in St. Mullin's and married a few weeks after the 1911 census there to a William Drew. The descendents of his family still are in St. Mullin's . William and Hanna also move to Chicago where she passes in the 30's. He marriage record and birth record available thru the St. Mullin's church records confirm Bauck as the location  for her birth and death.
with respect to John as a child I find the earliest record in the area showing a John Purcell is the 1837 Valaution but places him in a townland "bigwoods" just inside Wexford over the bridge at Poulmantry. It appears on google maps that you could be on Bauck hill and look over at the big woods area maybe 2-21/2 miles away. This little tag end of St. Mullin's in Wexford contains 4 to 6 townslands while the vast majority is in Carlow. This would appear to suggest that the family moved to Bauck at some point.  The 1853 shows John Purcell's in Ballyknockcrumpin and Ballynalour. So maybe a father and son. The townlands are between Bauck and the Wexford border with Ballyknockcrumpin seemingly across the tributary that enter the Barrow from the Bigwoods area. Closer than it seems at first glance.
This battered image is the only one we have labeled Slater's Graigue, It could be Graiguenamgh in Kilkenny or what was formerly known a Graigue in Carlow. The likely folks for this are Johannah and Mary Minnie Purcell.
The second image is an electoral district map from the Wexford public site showing the little area of St. Mullin's lodged in Wexford. The black line obscure the tributary to the Barrow which appears to the boundary between counties.