Author Topic: Brookwood Asylum, Woking, Surrey  (Read 2279 times)

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
Brookwood Asylum, Woking, Surrey
« on: Monday 14 March 11 15:46 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on Brookwood Asylum.  Especially admittance records between 1881 and 1891 and then also the death records for 1893.  I assume they are at the Surrey records office and the NA, but at the moment getting to them for me is a bit tricky!

can anyone help?  I am looking for a certain person who shows up on the 1891 census in Brookwood and classed as a lunatic.

A look up would be fantastic, but I do appreciate that it takes time.

Thanks
Lisa
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brookwood Asylum, Woking, Surrey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Unfortunately it does. You would first have to search through admission records at Surrey History Centre to try to find the date of the admission. Up to a 10 year search if she wasn't in the asylum in 1881. That would give you her case number to reference to the case books. The medical case book would then likely be up to two pages on average (could be more) of handwritten information in a large case book to copy out or if possible get scanned (probably not photocopied). If she died there then there will also be the discharge books. There may also be other records such as the post mortem book.
The case book records give detailed information so it would be worth contacting Surrey History Centre and seeing what quote they give for supplying copies of the records. Alternatively it might be worth contacting West Surrey Family History Society to see if they can recommend a local researcher who could do the research for you.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk