Author Topic: HELP  (Read 1395 times)

Offline patb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HELP
« on: Monday 18 April 05 18:53 BST (UK) »
Help!!!!!!!

I was looking for birth details for my uncle James KEARNS on 1837online. My mum had told me he was born in March 1938 but I found his details on the April-June 1838 page. I ordered the certificate online using the GRO information but a message came back saying they couldn't locate the certificate. I then sent same GRO ref details off but for Jan-March 1938. Again I was told they could not locate the certificate. On both occasions I was charged for the search.

Can anyone tell me how I will be able to get a copy of his birth certificate if the information on file is wrong?

Thanks

Pat
BORLAND, BURNS, CRIBLEY, CROALL, DIXON,
JOHNSTON, KEARNS, TRAYNOR WOULFE

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HELP
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 April 05 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hello

Your Mother is probably correct regarding being born in the March He was probably registered during the April - June Quarter in the indexes. 

Where did you send off for the Certificate?
Was it directly with the local office concerned or was it Southport?

Regards Jen

Offline patb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 April 05 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,

I ordered the certificate online from the GRO, using the information I had found on 1837

Pat

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 April 05 20:27 BST (UK) »
I should check that you got every single detail right when you first applied and then complain!    Unfortunately if any slight thing was wrong they will not check any other pages.   If they still fail to produce it then write to the local office and ask them to search for it - they do not need the GRO number just the approximate date and name.   You can find the address for the local registrar on genuki.   Send a cheque for £7 made out to the Superintendant Registrar - they are usually very helpful if you ring too.
Andrea

Offline patb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 April 05 23:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help. I'll try again.

Pat

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 April 05 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat

If he was born in March 1938 then, allowing 6 weeks to register the birth, he is probably the one registered in the Apr May Jun quarter of 1938.  Did you supply the correct district and reference number?

If you did supply all the relevant info exactly as it appears in their index then email them and I'm sure they will try to sort it out for you.

You wouldn't have got a certificate for one registered in the March quarter if he was registered in the June quarter because that wouldn't tally with the information in their indexes.

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk