Author Topic: COMPLETED Elizabeth Allison McFadyen b Sept qtr 1882 Tynemouth  (Read 4325 times)

Offline Slavetotherythm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Elizabeth Allison McFadyen b Sept qtr 1882 Tynemouth
« on: Wednesday 16 March 11 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone do a look up for me please?

Elizabeth Allison Mcfadyen's birth was registered in Jul - Sep qtr 1882 at Tynemouth 10b 227. I believe her parents to be John McFadyen and Margaret Creelman. Is there anyone out there who can confirm this for me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Julie
Wake - Sunderland, Co Durham and Northumberland
Kenny - Ireland
Hodgson - Ford, Sunderland
McFadyen - Cardross, Dumbartonshire & Renfrew
Freeth - Staffordshire & Northumberland
Douthwaite
Burdon
Hall

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Allison McFadyen b Sept qtr 1882 Tynemouth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 15:13 GMT (UK) »
She is down as the daughter of a John  and Margaret McFadyen in 1891

John McFadyen 49
Margaret McFadyen 44
George McFadyen 16
Alexander McFadyen 12
Elizabeth McFadyen 10

RG12/4221/29 p52

A tree on ancestry says Margaret was Margaret Creelman
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 15:20 GMT (UK) »
I think you will have to search scotlandspeople.gov.uk for the marriage of the parents as its not on FreeBMD. Also there first son was born in Scotland.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 20:45 GMT (UK) »
in 1881 ,
your family are in Longbenton,
Margaret is born Ireland ,
John , Scotland,
RG11/5085
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Can not find a marriage or birth of George on SP.

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 21:05 GMT (UK) »
This is a long shot & dates are out. (pilot family search).

John Mcfadden
Groom's birth date 1844
Groom's Age 22
Bride's Name Margaret Creelman
Bride's Birth Date 1844
Bride's Age 22
Marriage Date 15 Jan 1866
Marriage Place Belfast, Antrim, Ireland
Groom's Father's Name John Mcfadden
Bride's Father's Name John Creelman
Groom's Marital Status Single
Bride's Marital Status: Single
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Margaret is born Belfast so that could be the right marriage.

John is meant to be from Rainton, Dunbertonshire in Scotland (that could be a bad transciption for Renton Dunbartonshire )

Offline Slavetotherythm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 March 11 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your help.

I probably haven't expressed myself correctly judging by the replies. I was hoping someone would be able to look up Elizabeth Allison McFadyen's birth or baptism in the parish records.

I have all the census details already but these obviously do not confirm her mother's maiden name.

I have a transcription of the marriage certificate of 15th January 1866 from St Pauls' Church of Ireland in Belfast  which states it is the marriage of John McFadden (Irish version of McFadyen) & Margaret Creelman. I also have copies of the Scottish birth records of John McFadyen b 18 June 1872 but the writing is appalling - it does look like Creelman.
However on FS Margaret's surname is listed as Greenman.

I cannot find a birth record of Margaret Creelman on the Irish family history site.

The tree you are referring to on Ancestry may be mine but in any event I never take anything from other family trees as true unless I can prove it with proper evidence.  I have already had to contact people who have put my close relatives in their trees just because they have the same name where it is not a relative of theirs at all. This has made me realise that others are not necessarily as meticulous and I really want to make sure the people in my tree are my bloodline.

I can always check next time I'm in the North East if no-one is able to look up the parish record for me.

Thanks again for your help folks.

Julie
Wake - Sunderland, Co Durham and Northumberland
Kenny - Ireland
Hodgson - Ford, Sunderland
McFadyen - Cardross, Dumbartonshire & Renfrew
Freeth - Staffordshire & Northumberland
Douthwaite
Burdon
Hall

Offline Matilda1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 March 11 18:39 GMT (UK) »
I probably haven't expressed myself correctly judging by the replies. I was hoping someone would be able to look up Elizabeth Allison McFadyen's birth or baptism in the parish records...

I can always check next time I'm in the North East if no-one is able to look up the parish record for me.

What were you hoping to find from the baptism record?  With the exception of RC baptism registers (and possibly smaller denominations such as the Quakers), the baptism records of few denominations record the maiden name of the mother.  Given the Church of Ireland marriage, I presume that an RC baptism is unlikely.

The parish records in this case, i.e. Church of England baptism records, will not give the mother's maiden name at this date.  This is why the other Rootschatters were looking more broadly for clues which put together could lead to an answer. 

You need to purchase the birth certificate to confirm the mother's maiden name, as other researchers cannot 'look up' birth certificates.  You can do so via the General Register Office here:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

The reference that you give for the registration of Elizabeth's birth refers to Tynemouth as a registration district.  There were several parishes, and many more churches of various denominations, within the Tynemouth registration district.  See www.genuki.org.uk   - the pages for NBL and DUR have much more info than those for most other counties and I am very grateful for the hard work put into creating and maintaining them. 

If you did wish to trawl church registers, have a look to see where the family were in the 1881 census - look for the street address and for the given Ecclesiastical District on the image - ditto for 1891 - and this may possibly suggest some more likely places to start than others.  You can use a map, or ask the local experts for suggestions.

Just a suggestion, but if you list the full census entries for the family (including the above info) and any occupations, this would potentially help narrow the options down and make it easier for you and others.  It is often easier to spot a whole family group than one individual, and occupations can sometimes help us identify unlikely variants of a name.  In addition, those exceptionally kind individuals who give up significant amounts of their time to do look ups may not themselves have on-line access to the censuses.

You can also check to see if there is an LDS family history centre near you (www.familysearch.org and click on the library tab) and order films of church registers to view.

Good luck,

Matilda