Author Topic: SULLIVANS from Cork, settled in Michigan  (Read 1502 times)

Offline tkthorson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SULLIVANS from Cork, settled in Michigan
« on: Wednesday 16 March 11 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Attempting to discover family information of JOHN SULLIVAN born about June 1812 County Cork, possibly Muintervara, possibly Bantry, son of John and Mary Sullivan.  Family history has it that he was educated in the "national schools", left Cork about 1836 or so, arriving in Quebec.  Thence to Ohio/Indiana where he worked on the Wabash and Erie Canal, settling eventually outside of Grand Rapids, Michigan, establishing a prosperous farm in Grattan Township, Kent county, Michigan (which community was eventually named Parnell).  My family history here is well developed, but am attempting to locate information concerning his origins/family in Ireland--he may have had other relatives here in the US as well.  I fully expect that this is a difficult task for many reasons.

He married Johanna Scanlon, daughter of Maurice Scanlon and Marry Ferris (of County Kerry) who also settled in Grattan Township.  (siblings included Bridget and Mary who also settled in Grattan Township)

ANY help is greatly appreciated.  I maybe be contacted here, but also directly at (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: SULLIVANS from Cork, settled in Michigan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 April 11 19:53 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this link to Maurice Scanlon = Mary Ferris?

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/aef4b31950778
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline tkthorson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 April 11 00:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your kindness in referencing that source.  No, i had not seen that information, which clearly seems to apply to Johanna Scanlon's (wife of John Sullivan) parents. 

I am new to attempting to research Irish records, and I appreciate you taking the time to let me know about this record. 

Any advice from you is always greatly appreciated and gratefully received.  I anticipate that research can be difficult.

Thank you again for your help!

--Thor Thorson

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 April 11 16:51 BST (UK) »
See Shane's post on Intro to Irish records: 

Intro to Records

A page on Ireland and Cork basics here:

Ireland and Cork Basics

PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish