Author Topic: Sarah MACEY  (Read 2417 times)

Offline bluesea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah MACEY
« on: Thursday 17 March 11 14:47 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the birth of Sarah Macey. I believe she had two illegitimate boys. William 1821 and Samuel 1824 at Chilmark. In the 1841 census the boys were 20 and 19 and Sarah aged 60. The family were living at Rudge, Chilmark. Can anybody please help with Sarah's birth.

Regards Bluesea

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Macey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 March 11 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Are you sure the children are illegitimate?
The IGI has a submitted record for Samuel giving parents John Macey and Sarah - there is also a marriage (submitted) for a John Macey and Sarah Moore 9th November 1803 at Chilmark - these obviously need to be checked with Parish Registers

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bluesea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 March 11 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rosie

Thanks for the reply

I have a copy of the record for Samuel baptised at Chilmark 27 October 1824 illegitimate child of Sarah Macey. The 1841 census has Sarah with her two sons so she was not married by then.

regards Bluesea

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 March 11 12:03 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of the record for Samuel baptised at Chilmark 27 October 1824 illegitimate child of Sarah Macey. The 1841 census has Sarah with her two sons so she was not married by then.

Hello Bluesea

Glad you have a copy, it just goes to show that you cannot trust submitted records on the IGI. I presume then that you have looked for Sarah's christening  in Chilmark PR's so we should be looking elsewhere.  :-\

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bluesea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 March 11 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rosie
I found a baptism for Sarah in 1766 which would have made her in her 60's when she had her sons so I ignored that one. I may have missed it as a day in the record office can be hard work.

Regards Bluesea

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 April 11 23:56 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census has Sarah with her two sons so she was not married by then.

Sorry, but I have to point out that there are no relationships recorded in 1841, so the Sarah with the two lads in her household for that one night could just as easily have been their Grandmother.  Unfortunately, there is a death for a Sarah 1Q 1838 and several more in FreeBMD for Timsbury Regn District between 1841 - 1851, but the Chilmark PRs should assist in identification of the relevant one and her death certificate could help establish her marital status.

In the social conditions of the period she would have been rather ancient to conceive post-40 but she might have had a fertile young daughter .....

SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bluesea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah MACEY
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 April 11 09:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dee-jay

I will look at that.

Regards Bluesea