Author Topic: 'Tyringham Heard' - Leics.  (Read 6702 times)

Offline wisteria16

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'Tyringham Heard' - Leics.
« on: Thursday 17 March 11 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Has everyone found a 'Tyringham Heard' in their family tree?  I think that he was born about 1765 - he married Elizabeth Ward at Wigston Magna on the 18th March 1798. I have searched for his baptism without any success.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
wisteria16

Offline Mike from Leicester

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • " THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE. SOMEWHERE"
    • View Profile
Re: 'Tyringham Heard' - Leics.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 March 11 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Greeting’s Again…..Wisteria 16.

Heard Events worthy of Note All Saints Parish Church. Wigston Magna. :~  

MARRIAGE :~ 1787.

TYRINGHAM Heard. ~ Sarah Harrison.
5th. November.

BAPTISM 1788.

William. Son of TERRINGHAM Heard. .........Bapt. 1st. June.

MARRIAGE. :~ 1798.

TYRINGHAM Heard. ~ Elizabeth Ward.
18th. March.

BAPTISMS :~

Thomas. Son of TERRINGHAM & Elizabeth Heard….Bapt. 28th. October.

Samuel. Son of TERRINGHAM & Elizabeth heard. …Bapt. 20th. November.

Mary. Daughter of TERRINGHAM & Elizabeth Heard.. …Bapt. 18th. January.

So the marriage you found is Tringham’s Second Marriage ?
Although I could not see a burial for Sarah……
Also…….There was a Burial for a William Heard 20th March 1803.
But no other details given. ….

MIKE. ….
Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Researching :-

Isle of Wight.          Oxfordshire / Warwickshire.

Cassell.                   Powers. 
Draper.                   Hirons.
Combs.                   Botts.
Stallard.                 Hall.

Offline wisteria16

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 March 11 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your quick reply.  You have confirmed what I had previously found on Tyringham/Terringham Heard - it's a few years since I've worked on this family and seem to remember that I found this information on the Leicester projet disc which I bought from the Leicestershire Family History Society a few years ago.  Its nice to know that you have confirmed my findings. I can only hope that some-one who is tracing the 'Heard' family can help me regarding his Baptism.  Many thanks again.
wisteria16

Offline Mike from Leicester

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • " THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE. SOMEWHERE"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Greeting’s again….Wisteria. ….

Confirmation from the original Records held at the Records Office

MARRIAGES :~

Entry No’. 15.

Tyrigham Heard & Sarah Harrison.
Both of this Parish.

Were Married in this Church
This Fifth Day of November.
One Thousand Seven Hundred and Eighty Seven.
By Banns By Me :~ Tho’ Nibbs. Curate.
Tyrigham by Signature
Sarah by her Mark …..X

In the Presence of :~
Thomas Collin’s.
Wm. Copper.

1798.Tyrigham Heard & Elizabeth Ward. .
Both of this Parish.

Were Married in this Church
This Eighteenth Day of March.
One Thousand Seven Hundred and Ninety Eight.
By Banns By Me :~ J. Piggott. Vicar..
Both signed by their own signatures.

In the Presence of :~
Isaac Ward. .
Samuel Freer. ..Parish Clark.

BAPTISMS :~

William. Son of TERRINGHAM Heard. .........Bapt. 1st. June.

Thomas. Son of TERRINGHAM & Elizabeth Heard….
Bapt. 26th. September.

Samuel. Son of TERRINGHAM & Elizabeth heard. …
Bapt. 20th. November.

Mary. Daughter of TERRINGHAM & Elizabeth Heard.. …
Bapt. 18th. January.

Officiating  Minster ;~ J. Piggott. Vicar.

Sorry did not spot a Baptism for Tyrigham……

MIKE. …..
Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Researching :-

Isle of Wight.          Oxfordshire / Warwickshire.

Cassell.                   Powers. 
Draper.                   Hirons.
Combs.                   Botts.
Stallard.                 Hall.

Offline wisteria16

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Thanks again for your info - much appreciated.  From the information you have given me I'm wondering if the Wigston Magna parish registers are now at the Archives as when I last visited (several years ago) I was told that they were still in the church at Wigston and could only be viewed at the church by appointment.  As I live quite a distance from Wigston this was not an option at the time.  Through Ancestry I have discovered that Tyringham Heard was born 1762 to William & Katherine Heard (nee) Gilliam.  The person who has put the info on the web site doesn't say date of Baptism or parish of the Christening, but I feel that at least I am a little bit closer. Best wishes.

wisteria16

Offline susieroe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 June 11 15:26 BST (UK) »
Teringham Heard, son of Wiliiam and Catherine Heard, was baptised on 7th December 1761 at Countesthorpe, Leics.

His name is spelled Tyrringham, Teringham and Tyringham in the Registers.

Tyringham and Elizabeth's children were baptised at Wigston Congregational Church; Mary, 1800-1802 and William, 21st April 1802.
There's a further baptism of a William, son of Tyringham and Elizabeth about 1803-1805 on 1st June at the Parish Church but, like a fool, I've missed off the year.
Also, Thomas son of Tyringham and Elizabeth, baptised at the Parish Church 26th October 1803.

A burial at Wigston records 'William Hurd of Great Wigston. Aged 28. Buried 21st november 1830.

1841 Census:
Tyrringham Heard. 75. hosiery M'facturer.  Yes.
Elizabeth Heard.    63.                                Yes.

Burials at Great Wigston:
Tyrringham Heard of Great Wigston. Aged 82. Buried 15th January 1844.

Will of Catherine Heard of Wigston, 1825 (Died 1817):

Rents of  House and messuages, outbuildings and stockingers shop to son Tyrringham Heard and schoolmaster, Thomas Siddans.
To son Tyrringham:  £10
To son Joseph:  £10
To son Gillam: £10
To daughter Mary Glover:  £10

tenements and messuages to son Thomas. In case he shall procure his discharge from His Majesty's Service and return to great Wigston, but if he die before a discharge, everything to son Tyrringham

To daughter in law,Thomas' wife:  £5
Bequest to Grandson William, son of late son William

Then follows Thomas heard of Wigston's Will, in 1826, when the tenements, messuages, yard,  gardens and premises were entrusted to Thomas Jackson, grazier, and Thomas Siddans,schoolmaster, to sell for best price and divide between Tyrringham, Joseph, Gillam and Mary Glover; niece Ann Glover, Gabriel son of my nephew John Heard, mary wife of Thomas Coleman, framesmith. Mentions late wife, deceased.

So Thomas returned to Wigston.

The only problem with this is that William and Catherine's son Thomas was baptised at Countesthorpe in 1759; but PRO Ref. WD121/147/211 states:
'Thomas heard, Born Wigston, Leicestershire.
served in 10th dragoons.
Discharged  aged 34 after 15years of service in 1796.'

Did he re-enlist, I wonder?

Roe,Wells, Bent, Kemp, Weston
Bruin, Gillam, Hurd/Heard, Timson, All in Leicestershire. Keats (Kates)

https://ourkeatsfamilystory.blogspot.com/

Offline wisteria16

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 June 11 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi susieroe,

Many thanks for your information about Tyringham Heard.  I have just returned from holiday and switched on the computer and was pleasantly surprised to find your message.  I am going to go through my file on this family and have a good look at the information you have kindly given me and will get back to you in the next couple of days.
wisteria16

Offline wisteria16

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 June 11 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi susieroe,

I have been through my 'Heard' file and can tell you that Thomas Heard who was baptised on 26th October 1803 was my 3x great grandfather.  I am curious about how many Wills there might be in this family - I haven't looked into this before as I didn't realise that this family had any money to warrant leaving Wills. I know from experience that a lot of information can be gained from looking at Wills and can help tie up loose ends.  I can see that you have done a lot of work on this family and thank you for sharing it with me.  I know the information I have managed to obtain has not been easy as Wigston records were held at the church - not sure if this is still the case.  Finally information regarding Thomas who was in the army - I'm not sure where the information would be if he re-enlisted but he must have if he was in the army when his mother died in 1817, will look into this and contact you if I find any information on this.

Offline susieroe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 June 11 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Wisteria,

The information I have was taken from records at the LRO many years ago, including the registers. You could then read the Registers directly - a real joy!

I've wondered what became of Tyrringham's son William; He was baptised in 1802, but it's that further baptism in 1805, and the death of a William Heard in 1830 at the age of 28 that bothers me. Was he baptised twice - it's possible; he may have been a poorly baby.

As you have proved ancestry to him, he obviously married and had children before dying so young. I'd love to know who his wife was, where they married, and the children; it would complete that puzzle for me.

I don't know if there was much money, but the property left in the Wills indicate a 'comfortable' lifestyle earlier.
Also, a note in the Wigston Congregational records shows " Mortgage.  John Heard of  Thurcaston, Yeoman, purchased from William and Ann Coltman."

William Herde of Great Wigston's Will is dated 1751. He was a Framework Knitter, and left all his real and personal estate to his Loving Wife Elizabeth. When Elizabeth (nee Jackson) made her Will in 1762 she passes on  'A messuage and tenement where I live, with yard. garden, orchard, Buildings and Edifices in Wigston and 1/2 yard land in Tenure and occupation of william Johnson with common pasture'
Her brothers (brothers-in-law) are named as Teryingham Hurd and Robert Bellamy. Other names in these 2 Wills are : Freer, Bruin, Burdet, Ragg, Meadows, all prominent farming families in the area that crop up again and again in the Heard and Gillam families.

Yet later, I have not found anyparticular land, or property. that's reasonable, as farmers and graziers had a hard time making a living. They sold off land, they turned their hand to more industrial pursuits, such as framework knitting.

The William Heard mentioned above would be your Teryingham's grandfather, Tyringham his uncle, also baptised at Countesthorpe, on 6th january 1696/7.

William and Catherine Gillam were my 4x great grandparents. I wonder what our degree of cousinship is?!

You'll find the Gillam line fascinating too; there is a thread about one of them on here, Catherine's nephew.   

Roe,Wells, Bent, Kemp, Weston
Bruin, Gillam, Hurd/Heard, Timson, All in Leicestershire. Keats (Kates)

https://ourkeatsfamilystory.blogspot.com/