Author Topic: Complete Bertram Surname (Marriages, and Baptisms) Index for Scotland  (Read 10096 times)

Offline er4ZyY7u

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Complete Bertram Surname (Marriages, and Baptisms) Index for Scotland
« on: Friday 18 March 11 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I've done a one-name analysis of the surname Bertram and its variants in Scotland for the years 1538 to 1854. This data I have compiled includes information for 700 marriages and 1165 baptisms.

The following surname variants have been found:

BARTAR, BARTARAM, BARTARIME, BARTARM, BARTER, BARTERAM,
BARTERIM, BARTERN, BARTERUM, BARTHRAM, BARTHRAME, BARTHRIME, BARTIR,
BARTORUM, BARTRAM, BARTRAME, BARTRAN, BARTREAM, BARTREEM, BARTREM,
BARTRIM, BARTRIME, BARTRIN, BARTRM, BARTROM, BARTROME, BARTROUN,
BARTRUM, BARTRUME, BARTRUN, BARTRY, BARTTREM, BARTURM, BERTERAM,
BERTHRAM, BERTRAIM, BERTRAIN, BERTRAM, BERTRAME, BERTREM, BERTRIM,
BERTROM, BERTRUM, BERTTRAM, BORTRAM

Ideally, I would like to create a complete tree and relate this data to create family groups, but that's a project for another day. I have provided the Excel spreadsheet hosted on my budding website. You can download it freely.

http://www.bertramancestry.com/20110317v1_Bertrams_In_Scotland.xls

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nyqz79efxa8l19h/20110317v1_Bertrams_In_Scotland.xls

If you have any questions or comments, let me know.

Take care,

Sam Bertram

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Bertram Surname (Marriages, and Baptisms) Index for Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 March 11 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sam,

I tried your hyperlink, http://bertramancestry.com/20110317v1_Bertrams_In_Scotland.xls and it does not connect.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline er4ZyY7u

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 March 11 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hey Tom,

Thanks for letting me know. It was working on my end, but I provided a mirror anyway.

Sam

Offline Silent Whale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 May 11 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Sam

According to http://www.taliesin-arlein.net/names/search.php Surnames of England and Wales - the Office of National Statics list that makes you and me one 1,541 in 2002.

Alas my lot never ventured north of Watford so I can't use your great list for anything!

All the best

Neil
Bertram - London; Bartram - London and Wallingford, Berks; Dixon - Kent; Gant - Colchester, Essex; Goldsack - Kent; Mann - London and Sussex; McConkey - Sussex and Hants; Percival - London and Nottingham; Turner - Fordham, Cambs; Reach - London; Rumens - London; Matthews - London.

Offline wo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 April 12 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Sam

I would like to make contact. Your list is excellent. I live in Canada and have written a book on the history of John Bertram, my ancestor, who is on your list born in 1829 September 13 to Wlliam Bertram and Margaret Aimers in Peebles. There is another Bertram family here that also has been researched, who arrived about the same time in Ontario, from East Lothian, one even ended up in the same town. We are quite certain they are related and are trying to go back 3 or 4 generations from John to do so. We even have had 2 male members of each family get their DNA and there is a good match to spur us on.

Hopefully you can help.
Bertram, Scotland, Peebles

Offline er4ZyY7u

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 April 12 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hello wo,

I'm pleased that you found this information helpful. I also got my paternal line tested (up to the 67 marker) and am one of the administrators of the Family Tree Bertram DNA Page (http://www.familytreedna.com/public/bertram/default.aspx?section=ycolorized).

I just got your email as well so will respond to that too.

Sam

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 April 12 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Sam,

Very well done on your effort.  I researched my mother in laws female line a few years back and whilst helping her move house found an original document folded inside a book giving marriage details and dobs for several of the Bertrams mentioned in the list - would you like a copy?  If so please pm me your e-mail address.  Regards,   Steve  :)

"James Bartram born of William Bartram and Elizabeth Henderson, and Margaret Haddow, daughter of Thomas Haddow and Jane Symington, were married by the Rev. William McCubbin, at Douglas on the 16th of June, 1815.  Their children are as follows:

1.  Jane Bartram, born, 15th February.   (the paper is split here)
2.  William Bartram, born, 13th Aug. 1818.
3.  Elizabeth Bartram, born, 22 Apr.1820.
4.  Mary Bartram, born, 20th Aug. 1822.
5.  Margaret Bartram, born, 24 Sept, 1825
6.  Thomas Bartram, born, 1st Oct, 1828
7.  ???? Bartram, born, 18th Aug, 1833

Thomas Bertram entered as an apprentice…………."  (Note: another line follows - illegible due to fading)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 April 12 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

On IGI, Jane Bertram was born 15 Feb 1816 to James Bertram and Margaret Haddo (sic) at Biggar, Lanarkshire. It also gives place of birth Biggar for Elizabeth, Mary and Margaret. No sign of William, Thomas and the mystery Bartram.
On the 1841 census, shows youngest named Catherine, only Margaret, Thomas and Catherine at home, James is Ag Lab 56yo ( it should have been rounded to nearest 5, but think it should be 50) as 1851 census, has James aged 60 born Broughton, Peebleshire and Margaret aged 56 born Douglas, Lanarkshire.staying themselves at Kirk Style, Biggar

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 April 12 14:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your input Tom.

As a matter of interest - following your reply - I went and looked at my file and noted that 'Katherine' was the mystery Bertram - I'd the original on a transcribed copy.

I only had the family on the '41 census as by the '51  - my MIlaws direct line - Margaret (b.1825),  had already left home and for some reason - which is unlike me hadn't followed the parents on the census, although I've a frightening amount of census records...  Margaret the daughter had some tragedy in her life with her lighthouse-keeper husband drowning only 10 months after their 6th child,  a son had died.

Margaret the mother -Margaret Bertram (nee Haddow), died aged 89 on 08 April 1878 in Biggar, Lanarkshire.

Name:  Robert Watson       
Born:  abt 1829
Married: 24 June 1852 in Biggar
Occ:  Lighthouse keeper
Died:  05 April, 1864, Borgue
Name:  Margaret  Bertram 
Born:  24 Sept, 1825
Died:  13 June 1919, Biggar, Lanark

As I'm sure you're aware, sometime on the IGI they don't show the male children for a couple - can't remember why?

Regards, Steve ...   :)