Author Topic: Moses and Esther Palestrant in Leeds  (Read 9567 times)

Offline thecohens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Moses and Esther Palestrant in Leeds
« on: Friday 18 March 11 03:41 GMT (UK) »
I have the census records for 1901 and 1911 for Moses and Esther Palestrant in Leeds.  I believe I have identified Esther's death in 1939 but have not been able to find a burial or  death index entry for Moses, and would appreciate help finding out when and where Moses passed away and was buried.  They were Jewish but I did not find a burial for either  when I searched the United Synagogue site.

Moses was a "Travelling Jeweller" born in Russian Poland about 1871.  I know he was widowed but still alive during World War II as my cousins stayed with him briefly at that time in Leeds.

Thank you  for any help you can give me.

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
Re: Moses and Esther Palestrant in Leeds
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 March 11 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I cannot see a death for Moses I'm afraid.

Regarding Esther, she is listed in the index of wills and administrations. She died 7 Aug 1939 and left £360 to husband Moses, master jeweller of 18 Mexborough Street Leeds.

evie
Booth, Hornsby, Northumberland & Durham
Jackson, Northumberland & Durham
Douthwaite, N Yorks & Durham
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks
Kirby, Lowe, Studholme, Geary, Emery, Baldock

census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 March 11 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Moses is listed in the British phone books directory living 18 Mexborough Street Leeds, publication year 1950.

His name also appears on this database which states he died before 14 Oct 1955. However I am not familiar with this site and so I am not sure where the information comes from

http://british-jewry.org.uk/leedsjewry/getperson.php?personID=I16790&tree=1

evie

Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks

Offline thecohens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 March 11 07:29 GMT (UK) »

Regarding Esther, she is listed in the index of wills and administrations. She died 7 Aug 1939 and left £360 to husband Moses, master jeweller of 18 Mexborough Street Leeds.

evie

Thank you.  

I have ordered Esther's death certificate, on the rare chance it might have her maiden name, but I know that will not tell me when she was buried and have not yet identified any living family members to be able to ask if they know.

I did also check the cemeteryscribes site, which has many Jewish  burials.   Do you have any idea how else I might find out either of their burial locations when I did not find them at the main synagogue site?

I have now seen your other reply as well.  Since they say Moses had died by 1955, there is probably something like an obituary or someone named after him in 1955, if that is accurate.  I do know his brother died in 1952. 

It will take some more poking around to check that out.  Is Paul Palestrant who died in 1952 also listed somewhere that might be helpful?  I did find this brother Paul was buried in Willesden.

Thanks again!

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 March 11 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Sorry I don't know much about searching Jewish roots. I couldn't find anything for Paul apart from his possible marriage to Beatrice Straussler in 1909 which you probably know of.

evie
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks

Offline thecohens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 March 11 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I don't know much about searching Jewish roots. I couldn't find anything for Paul apart from his possible marriage to Beatrice Straussler in 1909 which you probably know of.
Hi, thanks for checking, I was more interested if you turned anything up about Paul in the general resources that were not necessarily Jewish.  Yes, I have Paul's marriage as well as birth names of his children.  I wondered about probate on him as well, maybe that is what I was thinking, but it might be too recent.

But finding Moses in the directory is a big  help, as is that site you found. It looks very useful, although it clearly is not guaranteed accurate.  It gives parents names of some people I did not have the parents of, so appreciate that a whole lot.

It is strange, it would seem Moses would be listed in probate if he owned property, it is amazing his death has not turned up except as "before" that 1955 date.  I bet the surname may be misindexed.  I'll try hunting in his first name alone at fbmd for the death during those years 1950-1955.

Thanks so much again!

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 March 11 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've tried all variations of Moses to try and find his death but no luck I'm afraid.

Paul took the oath of allegience on the 19th August 1904, address 27 Samuel Street, Leeds

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/27719/supplements/6379/page.pdf

As the date for Moses suggesting he died 'before' was quite specific, I wonder if something special had taken place on that day? Strange :-\

evie
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 March 11 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I wonder if it is worth registering with the link I gave you in reply#2. I had a look again and information for Paul was last modified 1 Jan 2011. Interestingly though they have his death date as Bef 21 Aug 1953. I wonder who is inputting the information.

evie
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks

Offline thecohens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 March 11 04:58 GMT (UK) »

I've tried all variations of Moses to try and find his death but no luck I'm afraid......

Thanks, yeah, I also tried searching all Moses' with no surname for 1950-55 without anything turning up.  There might have been some wedding he was noticeably absent from or mention in an obituary in 1955.

I had searched the gazette and seen that notice.  When I can work on this more intensely in a few weeks, I will try to track down what happened to Paul's children, maybe it was one of their marriages.  Will let you know if I find the event ma4tching that date.

But we may be chasing coat tails.  I saw some of the dates in that Jewish site were way wrong compared to the BMD Index entries I found, but we won't know for sure until his real record turns up.

I have some additional marriage records on the way that might shed some light on this, after I follow through researching more family members.

Thanks again so much!