Author Topic: Corrigan family deaths Fernie BC  (Read 11918 times)

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Corrigan family deaths Fernie BC
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 March 11 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks, Jacquie.  I did read your first post but by the time I started finding all the other deaths and marriages I obviously forgot what I had read!!  My short-term memory is not so good apparently!! 

I just found a public tree on Ancestry with Henry Corrigan married to Ethel Cartnell.  It shows that Henry died in Kelowna, BC in 1988 but it's not sourced.  The LDS records only cover to 1986, I think, so that's why we didn't find it on that site; however, I'm not finding it on the BC Archives site either and that index includes deaths up to 1989. Perhaps it is mistranscribed so I'll try a few variations.

Maggbill, if you have access to Ancestry, you may want to try to contact the owner of this tree (patcor_1).  The tree is very small with no siblings shown for Henry but I think the tree owner may be a child or grandchild of Henry and Ethel.

Susan

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 March 11 11:13 GMT (UK) »
HI Susan,
Unfortunately I don't have ancest. membership.... amazing how much I can manage to spend just even on SP - and my tree is mainly Scottish ... so apart from this fairly remote branch, and some others which proved to be sort of "dead enders" in USA.. I don't think I will be gettin access to Ances. soon....

Still absorbing all the info you and Jacquie have found - great!... will spend my Sunday on it!

Cheers

Maggs
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 March 11 18:51 GMT (UK) »
I know what you mean....there is no end of ways to spend money on research.  I really find it a joy to search on SP though and have the records readily available.

I've had no luck with finding a death for Henry/Harry Corrigan on the BC Archives site.  I've searched for all the Harrys and Henrys who died in Kelowna in 1988 and 1989 with no success....no surname even remotely close to Corrigan.  Will see if anything else turns up.

Susan

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 March 11 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Susan, for your continued interest .... 

We might be spending plenty on our Family Tree pastime - but - hey we could be wasting it on many things -of much less benefit! 

And I know what you mean about finding records on SP - it gives me such a buzz - to read the original entries, and often have the initial job of deciphering them (love that, - I worked with doctors for years, so really used to deciphering the unreadable)... and then gleaning every bit of information on them...  Holds me back from the housework - but there again - that is another plus !!

Happy Hunting...

Maggs
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline KerryMohondro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 July 12 07:36 BST (UK) »
Alice Corrigan was my grandmother.  She married Royal Mohondro in British Columbia before coming to the U.S.  They had 5 children, 4 born in Fernie, B.C. Canada and 1 in the U.S. Interestingly, 2 of their sons James and Roy named their sons Michael and Patrick, which appear to have been family names.

Mohondro, Alice, b. 1903, d. 1972, s/w Royal R
Mohondro, Royal R, b. 1899, d. 1973, s/w Alice
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=41109385&PIpi=31481413

Thanks for the info I've found here!  I am very interested in my Grandmother's Scottish history.

Kerry Mohondro

Offline KerryMohondro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 July 12 07:57 BST (UK) »
I should add that my grandmother's parent's names were William and Rose Corrigan from Scotland and my Grandma, Alice Corrigan Mohondro was born in Scotland in 1903 before going to Canada with her family.

Marriage Royal Randell Mohondro & Alice Corrigan
16 Sep 1924 - Fernie BC Canada
To:    Royal Randell Mohondro (born 1899) in Montana, U.S.A.

Not sure if this is the same Alice Corrigan you mention, but she sounds like she may be. 

Thanks,
Kerry

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,

Lovely to "meet" you!  You and I certainly do have the same Alice Mohondro (Corrigan or Carrigan).  Her Father William Corrigan (Carrigan) was the younger brother of my great grandfather James Carrigan.  The family in Glasgow was originally "Carrigan" and those who remained there retained this, - but when William married Rose (Or RoseAnn) Corrigan (yes that was her maiden surname) - they seem to have started using the Corrigan version. 

I was delighted to see the grave photo of Alice and Royal Randell Mohondro.  Actually I have quite a bit of information on William and RoseAnn - and Alice and siblings - if you do another couple of "posts" you will be able to "pm" me and we can share more details and maybe some bmd certificates, if you don't already have them. 

I have just had a lovely weekend - family celebration of our 50 years here in South Australia - so it is so good to be in contact with another descendant of our ancestors! 

Cheers
Maggs

Offline KerryMohondro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 03:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Maggs, nice to meet you too!  Sorry for the tardy reply, I forgot to check back on this post. 

So we're related then?  That's exciting! How many more posts do I need before I can pm you?  I would love to pick your brain, as you obviously have way more family information than I do.

There seems to be some family debate over whether "Grandma Moe" was from Scotland or Ireland, but if we have the same Alice Corrigan, then it appears Scotland is the correct answer.  My father was Roy Mohondro, who was the last child of Alice and Royal born in Fernie, BC.  The family moved from BC to Washington State, US and lived primarily in the Spokane Valley of Washington. 

Interesting info on the Corrigan / Carrigan surname, thank you!  My brother Patrick's middle name is Corrigan, and my brother Michael named one of his sons Corrigan Mohondro.  (Just keeping the Corrigan ball rolling!) :)

Would love to hear more from you, thank you for the reply!

Kerry

Offline KerryMohondro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 10:21 BST (UK) »
Here is a picture of Alice (Corrigan) and Royal Mohondro taken in Richland, WA not long before my grandmother's death. (Most likely taken around 1970-71.)  I remember that my grandma had a wonderful accent, but I was 11 when she passed away. 

Kerry