Author Topic: Information is so scarce.  (Read 3515 times)

Offline lecat35

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Information is so scarce.
« on: Friday 18 March 11 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi all.  I have been researching now for many months and I have a road block I can't seem to get past.

My Grandmother: May Olive Josephine Martin born 6Th November 1915 in 3 New Rd Blackwater Hawley. In the Sub District of Farnborough in the county of Southampton. Father: Joe Martin, Lance Corporal Military Mounted Police. Mother: Eliza Martin nee Fowler. Birth registered 24Th Nov 1915.

On the 30th January 1937 she married my Grandfather Eric Alfred Collingwood Bush. She was 21 He was 20.  They married in the register office in district of Edmonton in the county of Middlesex. At the time of marriage her address is registered at 5 St Mary St Kennington No profession is listed.

I know that the couple had 7 Boys and from talking to those still living I have there identity documents for there passage to Australia these were issued on the 17th of October 1955.

I know that May and Eric were both were the only children of there parents.

What I need to find out is what happend in between birth and marriage for May Olive Josephine Martin.  I am told Mays Parents died when she was very young and she was placed in an orphanage. I want to find out these details and I just cant seem to locate anything. So I am asking if anyone else can help me find them. I am very stuck with this I don't know what to do next......Both Eric and Mays fathers are listed as deceased on the marriage certificate.

Regards Lesley

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Information is so scarce.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 March 11 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Marriage:

September qtr 1905
Basingstoke district  Vol 2c, page 431

Martin Joe      to
Fowler Eliza
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 March 11 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Lesley - given that Joe was in the forces in 1915 have you checked whether he was a war casualty on the CWGC site? Or searched for a medal card or service papers (the latter may have clues if Eliza died while he was serving)? If you can establish deaths for either or both parents it may help with time & place when May could have been in an orphanage.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 March 11 16:35 GMT (UK) »
I can't see Joe on the CWGC site, under Mounted Military Police, but he does have a medal card, and although I don't understand all of the wording, it looks as though he went to France on 25 July 1915.  No sign of service records.

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 March 11 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I was searching military records earlier when work intervened!!  :(

Sometimes, work has to come first, I suppose.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 March 11 19:19 GMT (UK) »
From the medal card, it looks as though he was demobbed (discharged to Class Z) on 20 May 1919. 

His medals were all returned, now there could be several reasons for this (such as being wrongly inscribed) but it often means that there was no one to receive and sign for them.  This may mean that Joe and his wife were both deceased, or it may just be that they had moved with no forwarding address.  Make of it what you will! 

The medals were authorised in 1919 but not necessarily sent out then.  I think the Stars were issued first, followed by the Victory & British War Medals issued together in 1922.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline lecat35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 March 11 23:32 GMT (UK) »
I have the Certificates of Birth and Marriage for Joe and Eliza The Marriage Certificate was found in my grandfathers belongings after he died so it is the original. They were married on the 4th of August 1905. In the parish church of Bramley in the county of Southhampton. Joe was 28 and Eliza 24. Joe was a Gardiner and had Residence at he time was listed Horsell Surrey his father listed as William Martin also a Gardiner. Eliza profession is listed asin service her residence at the time listed as Bramley her father William Fowler listed as a Labourer. The witnesses wer Elizabeth Fowler and Willian Fowler.

Eliza's birth Certifiate shows shows as born or the 19th of May 1886 Southridge Streatly Berks Her father is William Fowler her mother Mary Jane Fowler formaly Heath, William was a farm Labourer. Mary Resided at Streatly. Registration District Bradfield Sub District of Bucklebury in the counties of Berks and Oxon.

Joe Martins Birth Cert born 4th June 1877 Chobham Father William Martin Nursery Labourer Mother Sarah Martin formaly Dowling. Sarah Martin Signed with a X residence Listed as Chobham. Registration District Chertsey, Sub District Chobham, County Surrey.

I dont know what else I can tell you that may help in figuring out the puzzle. I really want to find the information on the orphanage May was in. How long she was there and the reason she was there so long.  I am told that her family new she was there but only got her out once she was old enough to earn an income and pay her way.

Regards Lesley

Offline lecat35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 March 11 02:41 GMT (UK) »
How do I know which Medal card is the right one when I have no idea of his service number etc.  I am looking in ancestory I dont even know if I am looking in the right places. I havent been at this an awful long time and I guess I get alot of my information from ancestory. I have been cross checking and ordering certificates as I go hoping I am doing this right.

Regards Lesley

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 March 11 08:14 GMT (UK) »
I just looked for the one that said "Military Mounted Police" against J Martin in the WW1 Medal Card Index.

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY