Author Topic: King Crispin Inn Newgate Street Morpeth  (Read 9306 times)

Offline KENBAKER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
King Crispin Inn Newgate Street Morpeth
« on: Friday 18 March 11 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know the  King Crispin Inn on Newgate Street Morpeth please?  It is now enlarged by taking over next door and is called the White Swan.  Any info or photos of  King Crispin Inn would be great as it was run by my Great great Grandparents around 1898 - 1911, George William and Elizabeth Cook who on retiring went to live on Ladies Walk.

Many Thanks

Ken Baker
Wakefield.

Offline KENBAKER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: King Crispin Inn Newgate Street Morpeth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 March 11 01:08 GMT (UK) »
A bit more info the following is from Alec Tweddle’s Town Trails No.2, for Newgate Street:

HORSE ENTRY. 
This narrow passage is between Nos. 10 and 12.  The name probably derives from the fact that to the south of it was "The King Crispin Inn".  The stables of this hostelry were at the rear and this is the way through which the horses were led to them.

No. 10 NEWGATE STREET
Istanbul Turkish Restaurant.
Maylia Fish and Chips. 
Though once listed as an 18th century building, the facade is modern, and in 1997 the fish and chip suffered a serious fire which resulted in a complete remodelling of the frontage of both this shop and the wet fish shop next door.  Here stood "The King Crispin Inn" from at least 1798 to 1930.  King Crispin was the patron saint of shoemakers.  In 1798 the licensee was George Beaumont.

In 1889, James Sproat, landlord of the Inn, died.  He had travelled with a grinding wheel all over the British Isles, France, Spain and Switzerland.  He tried life in Brazil and roughed it in the early days of Australian colonists at Brisbane.  On settling down in Morpeth, he became a noted bell-ringer. 

The Inn was advertised in 1892 as having a bar, bar parlour, kitchen, back kitchen, front room, two bedrooms, light closet, cellar, two w.c.s, and yard.  A three-roomed house adjoined the Inn at the rear.  The whole property sold for £1,500.  The Inn was rebuilt in 1903.

In 1930 the Police objected that it was in very bad repair, ill-planned and inconvenient.  There were two entrances, one by a narrow lane, which made supervision of the house difficult, and the sanitary arrangements were bad.  Moreover, within sixty yards were five other licensed premises and the gross takings per week were only £48.  Magistrates granted a provisional licence and recommended the owner for compensation; £2,850 was offered.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 March 11 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken, welcome to rootschat  :)

I can't help on this - at least not without some thought - but Morpeth is in Northumberland, not Durham, so it might pay you to have this thread moved to the Northumberland board

Christine

Offline KENBAKER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 March 11 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Christine,

Many thanks for the message and sorry indeed for getting the area wrong. My reasons were that in the cencus it stated Morpeth, Durham in one and Northumberland in another. I don't know how or if I can change the message so I might just duplicate it under Durham if that is allowed.

Again Many Thanks.

Ken Baker
Wakefield.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 March 11 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken,

If you've already re-posted this to the Northumberland board could you please cross-reference to this one or you may get people duplicating research etc.

If not, at the bottom of each post in small blue letters it says 'report to moderater'.  It's the mods who do the moving.

Hope you enjoy rootschat!

Christine

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 March 11 12:27 GMT (UK) »
I thought my memory was playing tricks when I checked on the Northumberland site, for I read about the inn yesterday, and there were no replies to Ken's query.  I was about to advise him to google, etc., when with further delving I found it had been moved to this site.
However, if you go to the Duram site, you will see that Berwick, and Morpeth are shown alongside the Durham county towns, possibly causing confusion to some.

Offline KENBAKER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 March 11 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes that confused me as Morpeth is listed on BOTH Northumberland and Durhum directories of RootsChat.com

Ken

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 March 11 19:09 GMT (UK) »
As far as I am aware, there is no Morpeth in Co. Durham. Another thing staring me in the face, and which failed to register, is "Belford".  That too is in Northumberland, and not Co. Durham. Also shown in Durham is Middlesbrough, which it is not.  Middlesbrough is in Yorkshire, and within the boundaries of the old North Riding.  Mind I think the Borough lot would be sooner known as North-Easterners, rather than Tykes. ;D

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 March 11 20:31 GMT (UK) »

There are relevant historical reasons why Morpeth and Berwick are listed as having connections to Durham.

To be more accurate it was the Registration Districts of Morpeth and Berwick that had the connections.

Although the towns of Morpeth and Berwick have never been "in" the County of Durham, the two Reg Districts covered areas that were "in" County Durham.

Berwick RD covered an area including Tweedmouth and south ( commonly called Islandshire) that was owned/controlled by the Bishops of Durham.

Morpeth RD covered an area around Bedlington ( then called Bedlingtonshire)

The " enclaves" of Islandshire and Bedlingtonshire, together with a third, called Norhamshire (within Berwick RD ) were collectively known as  " North Durham".

Parliament reverted the three enclaves back tp the County of Northumberland in 1844.

For the 1841 census the "enclaves" were enumerated as within County Durham.

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.