Author Topic: certificates  (Read 2450 times)

Offline jrosecat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
certificates
« on: Saturday 19 March 11 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Can someone advice me please, why do I sometimes manage to find a relative on a census/birth record but cannot seem to find the actual birth with a record of the mothers maiden name. Should I apply for a birth certificate?? ??? I then get stuck as can not get any further..Jacky

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: certificates
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 March 11 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Can you give us an idea of date and country?
Ages in census records are not always accurate and name written on census return is not always the name on birth registration.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 March 11 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacky

If you buy the birth certificate, it will give you the mother's Christian and maiden name, which will help you to take your research back further.  :)

Judy
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline jrosecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 March 11 20:20 GMT (UK) »
the person I have got to (my grandmother )and the dates are 1875-1923 when my grandmother was born and died, it is her mother that is the problem, I know the fathers name because I found it on her marriage certificate(1902 married) (he was deceased) but cant seem to find the mothers name anywhere. And whilst I am here was there such a thing as a coal porter? that is what it looks like any way!!thanks for replies.xx

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 March 11 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Here's a description of coal porter from 1891 census-
http://www.census1891.com/occupations-c.htm

Your grandmother's birth certificate will list her mother's name- I assume the problem is that you can't find the correct record from the indexes to order her birth certificate?
Your grandmother should appear in census records before her marriage and hopefully this information would give you an area to search as well as mother's first name. Have you searched for 1881, 1891 and 1901 census records yet?
By the time the 1911 census was taken your grandmother would have been married but that census might give a more exact place of birth. Have you looked for her in that census yet? (we aren't allowed to do lookups for it)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jrosecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 March 11 20:38 GMT (UK) »
thank you for the help and information, will have another go at the census! I find I am going around in circles sometimes as there are others with the same family name in the same area!! still all good fun..

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 March 11 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacky, it is good fun for sure! Can you give us the names of the people involved with ages and places of birth, in that we may be able to offer some assistance to you.

Keyboard86

Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 March 11 10:57 GMT (UK) »
The birth index before 1911 didn't record the mother's maiden surname, which could be a problem if you are looking for a frequently occurring name.

There is also a slim chance her birth may not have been reported to the local registrar so may not appear in the index or may have been mis-recorded.

Athough civil registration started in 1837, the onus until 1874 was on the local registrar to locate all the births in their region. After 1875, the parents 'had' to register the birth in the district the child was born.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline jrosecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 17:10 GMT (UK) »
The name that I am researching is Willmott, my mothers maiden name. I have got back to Beatrice E Sallis who was married to William John Willmott (b1889) It was her mother Elizabeth that I had got stuck with, I just wanted to clarify that  I was on the right track and she was married to my Willmott family as there are quite a few!!The husband of Elizabeth was Wilson W Sallis (b1843)