Author Topic: Birth/Baptism/Census lookup please - Dorothy 'Dinah' Staples/Shepherd/Langley  (Read 3117 times)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hello,

I hope someone can help me solve this mystery!

My Great-Grandmother seems to magically appear out of nowhere in 1918, aged about 27!

She was known to the family as 'Nanny Dinah/Diana' or 'Big Aunt Doll'.

This is what we know:

Pre-1918: We have photographs. One of Dinah as a child, taken in a studio in Maidstone.

Another photo is taken c1915 and she's wearing a Munitionette's uniform, so evidently worked in a Munitions factory - although she never told anyone about this.

1918: The informant of her first child's birth. She records herself as 'Dorothy Staples formerly Shepherd'.

1920-1934: The informant of her other five children, but on these birth certs, she appears as 'Dorothy Staples formerly Langley'.

The two different maiden names are a mystery to us!

1929: She marries my Great-Grandfather Walter Edward John Ernest Staples in Islington Registry Office. My Grandmother is still alive and this was a total surprise to her. She said they were all raised to believe they had been married in a church and before the first child was born! (Nan finds much of my research very amusing! - As it turns out, she was the only one born in wedlock!)

Also, on the marriage cert, they appear to give a false home address and nobody alive today, recognises the two names of the witnesses.

She records her father as 'William Langley, Deceased, General Labourer'.

Nan is sure that her mother grew up in Blue Bell Hill with an Aunt.

It's so strange that i can't find a birth record for her or in the 1891, 1901 or 1911 censuses!

Can anyone help please?!  :)

Many thanks in advance,
Glen.
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Birth/Baptism/Census lookup please - Dorothy 'Dinah' Staples/Shepherd/Langley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 March 11 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you discounted this?

1901  RG13/765/124/18  60, Ashford Rd Maidstone

Annie Harper  single        48    charwoman         Maidstone
Clara Harper  single         39     cook                   Maidstone
Ethel Harper  niece           19     dressmaker        Maidstone
Dorothy Shepherd  niece  12                                Maidstone
Mabel Shepherd  niece       9                                 London
Lilian Shepherd  niece        7                                 Maidstone

The children are still with Annie in the next census.

Jan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Birth/Baptism/Census lookup please - Dorothy 'Dinah' Staples/Shepherd/Langley
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 March 11 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Thanks so much for your response!

Yes, i thought this was her, but i've traced this Dorothy and she emigrates to USA and marries there.

Shame though, because the 'Aunt' and place fits!

Thanks again,
Glen.
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 March 11 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Thats a shame.  :( :(

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 March 11 22:56 GMT (UK) »
I know  :(

I was thinking of driving to Blue Bell Hill sometime, to take a look around, but i don't know if the trip would actually help at all or if it would be a waste of time.

The photo taken c1915-1918 where she wears the Munitionette's uniform, shows Dinah wearing a ring on her wedding finger. This could of course, just be an engagement ring (although my Great-Grandparents didn't marry for another 10 or so years) or it could mean she was engaged/married before?

I've also read that illegitamate children would often use their Grandfather's name or another male relative's name on their marriage cert, so perhaps Dinah didn't know who her father was?

One Genealogist told me that perhaps she discovered who her father was c1919 and hence decided to start using his name?

She remains a mystery! I just think 27 years is a long time not to find anything on her - especially when the period covers the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census records!

Thanks again for trying to help.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 March 11 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Possibly if the photo was taken around 1915/1918 she lost her husband in the first World War.

I wouldn't think if she didn't know her father until she was an adult that she would suddenly start using his name.

Jan

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 March 11 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes i wondered if she was married before, but she's recorded as a Spinster in 1929 and i can't find any other marriage that might be for her.

I've also ordered lots of birth certs for possibilities but none seem to be her, because Dinah celebrated her birthday on 27th September.

I also wondered if 'growing up with an Aunt' actually meant some kind of children's home?? But maybe not. I'm probably clutching at straws now!

Let me know if you come up with any other possibilities!

Kind regards, Glen.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 March 11 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Ok, so let's perhaps start with what can be ascertained for certain.  When and where did she die thus any date of birth age in the records?

Where is the first known child born?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 March 11 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi,

Ok, so all six children were born in Stoke Newington, London.

Nanny Dinah died in Stoke Newington too. No date of birth is given on the death cert. She died 18 Jan 1966 and her oldest living son at the time, registered the death and recorded her age as 73 (which we think is a year or two out).

Glen  :)