Author Topic: Birth/Baptism/Census lookup please - Dorothy 'Dinah' Staples/Shepherd/Langley  (Read 3118 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Birth/Baptism/Census lookup please - Dorothy 'Dinah' Staples/Shepherd/Langley
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 March 11 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Have you any idea where she was born?

If it was Kent there are these births:

Dorothy Clara Shepherd  Maidstone 1888  (This is the one from the 1901 census)

Dorothy Emma Shepherd   Greenwich 1894

Dorothy Ada Langley   Thanet 1893 (This one is with her family in Ramsgate in 1901)

Dorothy Muriel Langley Maidsone  1894
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Birth/Baptism/Census lookup please - Dorothy 'Dinah' Staples/Shepherd/Langley
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 March 11 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan, we don't think any of those are her. I've ordered all of those birth certs and none of them have 27th September as a date of birth and as far as we know Dorothy didn't have a middle name.

Not sure exactly where she was born, but Nan remembers that her Mum grew up in Blue Bell Hill.

We also have a photo of her as a very small child, taken in a Maidstone studio.
Of course, none of this confirms that she was actually born in Kent.

Thanks again! Glen.
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 March 11 03:48 GMT (UK) »
I've just discovered that you can request info from a database of the 1939 National Registration Books!
I'm going to see what they have for Nanny Dinah! At least I should learn her date of birth!  :)
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 May 11 01:09 BST (UK) »
I've recently received Nanny Dinah's details from the NHS (1939 National Registraion) Database....

She's recorded as 'Dorothy STAPLES, born 27 Sep 1891'.

This means that my Nan correctly remembers her Mum's birthday always being celebrated on 27 Sep. It's also the one and only document, which gives me a specific year-of-birth for my Great-Grandmother. However, I suppose it's only as accurate as the info provided at the time by Dinah herself! The 1939 National Registration was taken the night of 29 Sep, which means Dinah would've only just had a birthday, so her age should've been fresh in her mind! Still no birth record though, or census records and she continues to remain a mystery for the first 27 years of her life!  :(