Author Topic: 1812 Burial - Looking for add'l info, please  (Read 4108 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
1812 Burial - Looking for add'l info, please
« on: Sunday 20 March 11 08:34 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering how I might find additional information about:
Wm Ovens of Corclune/Corcloon, born c1782, buried February 16, 1812.

Possibly married to Elizabeth Stinson.  Possibly had three children (http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nirfer/inish_baptism_2.html).
Burial information from:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nirfer/inishbur.html

Previous thread about my Ovens ancestors:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,379680.0.html

If I can find additional information about William Ovens, it might help determine if my ancestor was his son.  Thank you for reading this.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline tomwdcraftr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1812 Burial - Looking for add'l info, please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 July 11 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa

My Great Great Grandfather was Thomas Ovens (wife Margaret Guthrie) born about 1824 in County Fermanagh, Ireland (Margaret was also Irish, but not sure where she was from in Ireland?). By 1848 or earlier he was in Clarke, Durham County, Ontario. There are several other Ovens families in the area. It seems likely some of them were family to my Thomas. Thomas' first Son was William John Ovens born in Clarke, Durham County, Ontario in 1848.  (Some of the other Ovens names I saw in the area were:  Edward, Hugh, James, William, and Jane).

If the family went by the Irish naming pattern, it would seem Thomas' Father may have been a William Ovens? There was a William Ovens on at least one census in the Durham County area, who could have been around the right age to have been my Thomas' Father, but I don't know if he was?

My Thomas Ovens family moved to the Nottawasaga, Simcoe County, Ontario area probably about the middles 1860's.

I was also researching the Ovens families in the Fermanagh/Donegal area around Irishmacsaint.

So far, it's hard to make any conclusions??

Thanks!!  Tom McMillan (Washougal, WA)

Offline tomwdcraftr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 July 11 22:33 BST (UK) »
Oh, I should have mentioned that also on the 1861 Durham County census there was an Elizabeth Ovens, born about 1795 in Ireland. She shows as married, but no husband is listed for her. There are 3 others with her, showing as single and each born in Ireland, who are likely her children or relatives:  Edward born about 1821; William born about 1836; and Jane born about 1838.

Thanks!!  Tom McMillan (Washougal, WA)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 July 11 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom:

My John Ovens was married in Jersey City, New Jersey in 1842.  I cannot find John's immigration to North America.  I was able to find his wife's immigration (with her family) in 1839.  I've never found any of John's family members in New Jersey.

By 1860, John, his wife and their children were living in Toronto, Canada.  John owned a fancy goods establishment in Toronto.  I don't know why he relocated his family to Toronto; I've wondered if it was because family members were living nearby?

Several years ago I contacted three individuals (living in Ontario) who were Ovens descendants.  We could not find a link between our families.  I will have a look around this weekend, to see if I can find anything for your Ovens families.  Thank you for reading my post.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)