Author Topic: On finding the real EDWARD ASHWIN!  (Read 40696 times)

Offline howardg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: On finding the real EDWARD ASHWIN!
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 01 September 13 02:02 BST (UK) »
Hello, Kate
I have obtained copies of the information that my relative has on Frederick, and I have a copy of the handwritten letter on Frederick's emigration to NZ.  Possibly the original has a date, as I can make out ..50 on it.
The version of the family tree that I have "has Frederick as the 3rd of 4 children of Robert Gover (of Maidstone, Kent) and Rebecka (sp?) Mundy (of Petersfield). 
Robert was the son of Thomas Gover and information starts to get sketchy there.  Possibly born 14.3.1773 Chipstable.  His parents may have been John and Ann.  It looks like he married Sarah Minifie."
We may have taken a few leaps of faith based on a letter from the 1980's that mentions Thomas Gover (early 1800's) having two sons William (whose descendants are in Australia)  and Robert (whose descendants are in NZ.
I would be interested to hear more on Edward, and the family tree of Frederick.
Here is a link that should get you to a photo, taken between 1890-1905, of the Fernridge School that Frederick taught at. In the photo are 3 staff on the far left , and the gentleman may be Frederick.
http://bones.mstn.govt.nz/archives.html
In the quickfind search enter gover, and press O.K
Left click on the photo of Fernridge School and it should enlarge sufficiently.
Also there are photos of Robert and Sid Gover in the Masterton hockey team. Sid is in the second row on the far right, and Robert is sitting  next to him.
There are Govers in the Marriage register shown.

Howard

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Howard,
I was very excited at receiving your post with the link attached. I think the photos are wonderful - and I could well believe that the photo of the male teacher is Ferderick! I have a brother who is the spitting image of that gentleman. It is amazing - only the other day I was thinking how nice it would be to have a photo of Frederick! It is good to see Sidney and Robert as young gentlemen too.

Currently I am at my daughters place doing some babysitting and do not have access to all my family history information. I will be back on Sunday and will be more than happy to hand on information on the Mundy's and of what I have found on Robert and Thomas Gover - and their lineage. Were you aware that Robert was a Wesleyan Minister!

I will talk more on my return home.

Regards Kate

Gover (Chatham Kent) Ashwin (Worcestershire)Wheeler (Worcestershire) Copson (Warwickshire) Harvey (St Just Cornwall to 1850 - and then Australia) Peters (Mold Flintshire) Mundy (Hampshire)

Offline howardg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 08 September 13 03:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Kate
I have been on the Ancestry site investigating Frederick's family tree and  get the same result as you. i.e
John > Edward > Robert > Frederick.   I have the dates of baptisms of Edward and Robert at Chatham Kent. I cannot trace back further than John as I don't have any way of dating when he was born. I put some approximate dates in the search engine for a possible DOB but there were quite a few John Govers came up, non of whom were born in Chatham. It is interesting to find out that Robert was a Wesleyan minister, and that you found a family resemblance to Frederick in the photo.
Here is a link to Frederick about the time he retired. You need to scroll down after entering link.
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=WDT19051106.2.10&srpos=57&e=-------10--51----+F+gover--

Howard

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 09 September 13 07:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Howard,
I am back home now. Thank you so much for the web site relating to Frederick's retirement. Each bit of information adds to our ancestor's stories.

I am glad your searches correlate with mine. You mention the baptismal dates of Edward > Robert > Frederic. Have you come across the Medway Archives site? I was most excited at finding this site since you can browse the actual St Mary's Registers - and others.

Knowing the dates of Baptisms makes the search much more productive. Through searching the Registers I have downloaded the actual entries for many of the Govers - siblings of my people as well.

However I too, cannot find a Baptism for John Gover. Edward's parents were John and Ann - and what I have found in the St Nicholas Register for Rochester, is a marriage of a John Gover to an Ann Young in the year 1745. I believe their first child was born in 1746 - the first of nine children of which Edward 1764 appears to be the last. As Rochester is just down the road from Chatham I do believe that I have the correct marriage.

Also having no dates to go by I have spent many hours looking for other Govers. I was delighted to find, in 1714 in the St Mary's Register, a marriage of a John Gover to an Ann Atkin Chatham Kent. I am of a mind to believe that they could be the parents of the John of unknown Baptism date who married in 1745.

Here is the Medway Archives site:

http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/query/results/?Mode=Search&PathList=%2FZ4a_Medway_Ancestors%2F%0A&SearchWords=&DateList=

Also I will need to scan the information on the Mundy's so could send by PM if you like.

Regards
Kate
Gover (Chatham Kent) Ashwin (Worcestershire)Wheeler (Worcestershire) Copson (Warwickshire) Harvey (St Just Cornwall to 1850 - and then Australia) Peters (Mold Flintshire) Mundy (Hampshire)

Offline howardg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 07:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Kate,
Thank you for sharing the information going back before Edward. I was really pleased to hear it. I had quite quickly got back to Edward on the Ancestry site, and then was stymied. Below is a link to several other links on Govers. I found the link on the pre wedding gathering to farewell Aunt Daisy interesting. It would be good to go into PM for the Mundy's information.  Also I will be scanning the Gover family documents I have and photo with Esther in it, so I can send that through to you.
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=q&hs=1&r=1&results=1&dafdq=&dafmq=&dafyq=&datdq=&datmq=&datyq=&pbq=&sf=&ssnip=&tyq=&t=0&txq=Daisy+gover&x=28&y=8&e=-------10--1----0--

Howard

Offline Vaso

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 09:18 GMT (UK) »
.....Robin Ashwin ... is the descendant of Charles Ashwin, Alfred's brother whom you mention.Charles Francis Godrey was born in 1816. He married Caroline Amelia, daughter of Joseph Reece of Essex and had 3 children: 1)Caroline Grace 2) Godfrey Napier, married Mabel Rosa Gibson and had a son Edward Manley 3) Charles Stephenson married Eliza Sarah Joy ? and had a son Eric Charles Godfrey ...

Dear Semaphore and others chasing Ashwin history .. hello!
It's been very good reading the trail of messages through rootschat; I'm also researching - my son is a great grandson of Arthur C. Ashwin (through his father's maternal line) and I was wondering if you could clarify a name: C.F.G. Ashwin marrried Caroline Amelia - in your message you have her listed as daughter of Joseph Reece - however the marriage record I've found online has her surname listed as Lincolwe (married in 1855) - are you able to shed any light on the names?
Hoping you get this message as I'm new to the club,
Cheers,
Vaso

Offline RodChasH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 19 December 15 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ashwin seekers, I hope some of you are still monitoring this thread!
WhiteKat I notice back at the beginning you mention Edward Ashwin and Ann Roberts. They were my 3x Great Grandparents. Edward was the son of Manley Ashwin and Mary Godfrey (Godfree), I believe, and Manley the son of Thomas Ashwin and Hester Manley. I had come across the Manley name when researching the Ashwins but had ignored it because it didn't seem to fit into my particular Ashwin branch until I discovered that Edward's son William had named his son George Manley. Then, thanks to posters on this thread I was able to discover Edward's parents.

The Manley name interests me, the fact that it recurs in the Ashwin family tree must mean that it had some significance to the family and that Hester and her father were considered important. So far as I can make out her father was Job or John Manley of Crowle Worcestershire. It has been mentioned that he was from Charlecote but I can find no connection there. Does anyone have any further information?

Honeybourne and Bretforton are very close does anyone know of the connection between the Honeybourne and the Bretforton Ashwins? I am amazed by the coincidences that occur in family history. My uncle and his family moved from Birmingham to a village very close to Bretforton in the 1950's, unaware of any family connection or Ashwins except that Ashwin was his grandmother's maiden name.

Family legend has it that Elizabeth Ashwin, born 1844 daughter of James who was Edward's son, my great grandmother, was disowned by the family for marrying beneath her. Yet there is no evidence that this was the case, anyone any ideas?

Many thanks to anyone who may have some information.

Rod.
Hunt (Worcestershire, Warwickshire), Smith (Devon), Ashwin, Sanford,

Offline RodChasH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 08 July 17 14:56 BST (UK) »
For any Ashwin descendent with a few million to spare:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60398540.html
Hunt (Worcestershire, Warwickshire), Smith (Devon), Ashwin, Sanford,

Offline Gay Hancock

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello all I am a Great grand daughter of Edward Marston Ashwin, My grandfather is Milford Ashwin, my father is Edward Herbert Ashwin . My name is Gaynor Ellen Hancock nee Ashwin and I live in the beach side area of South Australia,about 6 kilometres from where Edward Marston bulit his Semaphore house. I have only just started looking at the Ashwin side of my family, my father did not speak of this side of the family at all and perhaps because he was so young when his father  died he did not know very much. He was more connected with his mothers family