Author Topic: Grandad didn't exist!!  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Rosiedim

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Grandad didn't exist!!
« on: Wednesday 09 June 04 19:59 BST (UK) »
My grandfather supposedly came from America, met Grandma and stayed in York.  However, he is on 1901 census and place of birth looks like Holand.  Anybody got any ideas how I could trace him?  If I'm posting this in wrong place, sorry, just a newbie.  Thanks

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re:Grandad didn't exist!!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 June 04 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosiedim,
  Best advice is always give as much info as you can when you ask a question like this. So, can you tell us his name, age and location and I'm certain someone will come up with an idea or two.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Rosiedim

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:Grandad didn't exist!!
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 June 04 12:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you Pauline.

John M Leavitt born 11/11/1870 died 29/01/1943.  His marriage certificate says his father's name was Morsite but I'm sure that's a transcription error.  Grandad didn't speak very good English, or maybe didn't even write very good English!  He was a Master tailor and had several tailor's shops in York.  He lists his father as a master tailor also.  He seems to have had some connection with Manchester, think the family may have moved there prior to going to USA.  During the war the family received parcels from relatives in Canada.  Not much to go on I'm afraid but if anyone could help I would be so grateful.

Once again, thanks - Di