Author Topic: need help please  (Read 2104 times)

Offline sunnyday

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
need help please
« on: Monday 21 March 11 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone I am new to this site so please be patient with me, I wonder if anyone could possible tell me how I can go about finding any military information for my father-in-law, I am afraid I do not have anyone who I can ask about any information on him, and my husband doesn't know much only that he knew he was in the Army, we have a photo (not very good) of him in his uniform but cannot tell anything from this, any help where to look or what to do perhaps would help me.  Many thanks all    :)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: need help please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 March 11 17:29 GMT (UK) »
hello and welcome to rootschat  does the photo show any insignia on it as this is the most important piece of info that may help to identify his reg without that it,s impossible to tell you what to do next , so if the pic does have any regimental badges or such post the pic with as close an image of the badge as pos .
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline madri

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 March 11 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sunny.  Is the gentleman in question still alive??  If he is - please don't mention his name on here,

If the gentleman in question is deceased, then with a name, age or date of birth etc look-ups can be done on Ancestry Military section.

Madri

Offline sunnyday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 March 11 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all - we cannot find anything on the photo perhaps if I copied it and then blew it up to see if perhaps I could find something that way.

Yes he is deceased, I have tried the military sites but when I put his name in and his birth dated they say that there is nothing under this name.

I really think this is a no go area which I am a little upset with as I had to try and find something for my own father and with a little help from military sites etc. I have unveiled quite a lot, so perhaps I am not meant to do my father-in-law's. still I will keep on trying somehow to find something as I am like that, I do enjoy family history and all that goes with it.  Thanks anyway I dare say I will need your help again thanks for your help all anyway. :)

Online angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 March 11 18:30 GMT (UK) »
You could still try posting the picture on the military section as the experts may be able to get clues from the uniform even if the regimental insignia isn't clear,it's worth a go  :)
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline madri

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 March 11 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Sunny, have you been able to find the gentleman on the Census, birth & marriage registrations etc?  There are heaps of smart, clever people on here who will look and search info out.  If you want, give what info you have and see what happens.
What have you got to lose eh?  Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say.

Madri

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 March 11 18:50 GMT (UK) »
as it looks as if he was in the forces in ww2 no records are online for them you would have to apply for them at a cost of £30 if you go to this web site you can download the forms and it gives you all relevant info on all things military  www.veterans -uk.info/service_records/service_records.html  having only a name to go on may well be nigh impossible to find him only it,s more than likely that there would be lots more men with the same name unless it,s something really obscure , but take a look at the sight anyway .
as to identifying him from a uniform it is what it says a uniform ie they are all the same only the guards reg are really discernible by there button groupings  .
 but yes by all means post the pic they are always nice to see another thing can you get a close up on one or more of the buttons that may help identify him .
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline sunnyday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 March 11 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all very much, I have tried The National Archivies and it has come up with something very interest
he was in the Royal Garrison Artillery so they say never heard of them any ideas?  My own father was in the KOSB and I have found out a lot about him.  Thanks once again :)

Offline DennisBB

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 March 11 20:27 GMT (UK) »
sunnyday, congrats on finding something out! How were you able to get it from the national archives? Just looked for his name? As for the Royal Garrison Artillery, apparently it was disbanded in 1924. Does that work out? Check out the wikipedia entry on them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Garrison_Artillery
The military section or other military specialized forums (there are plenty out there) should definitely be able to help you out further. The only thing required is patience!  ;)
Bergisches Land