Author Topic: death records/ William Owen  (Read 1798 times)

Offline treenovice

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
death records/ William Owen
« on: Monday 21 March 11 18:43 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace where ( and when) my ancestor above died and where he lived prior to his marriage in 1849. I have found him in the 1851 and 1861 census in Stone Staffordshire, so know he was born in about 1819. It says unknown father and unknown place of birth on his wedding certificate.
1871 census his wife is working as a housekeeper. 1881 census shows her a a widow.
Can anyone help with where I can look now?
A previous relative said he had died in 1863 but she is no longer with us and I don't know how she proved/discovered this. Thank you.

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: death records/ William Owen
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 March 11 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Treenovice

Welcome to Roots chat.  I have two potentials for you but it would help to know what Williams occupation is and hopefully it tells you on his wedding certificate.
If you could let us know I am sure it will make it easier. Plus what did they call
his wife?? and any childrens names then we know we are on the right track.
Thanks
regards
Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline treenovice

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help.
William married Sarah Stretton 11/12/1849 Weeford, Lichfield.There is a line in Fathers box/occupation Labourer.(in 1851 census it says he is a victualler/1861 no business) Three daughters Agnes, (Deakin)Alice (Keeling)and Emma (Trickett).
Family info alleges that he was the illegitimate son of 2nd Duke Sutherland and Lady Mary Glynne (Hawarden) and funds for education was given to the family until Dukes death 1861. Allegedly he was placed with a gardener and wife @ Trentham to be brought up!

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Treenovice
Very interesting story about poor William. I dont know if you have the history of Harwarden and the Glynnes?  They owned Harwarden Castle and one of the Glynnes Catherine married William Gladstone the Prime Minister of England . Mary was an older sister of Catherine. They were both known as beauties of their day. Saying that the  Mary must have been these two girls Mother who was widowed in 1815.   She married well and one of her great g grandsons was Humphrey Lyttleton the jazz trumpeter. 
Other famous people from Harwarden  were Emma Hamilton (Lord Nelsons love) . Also Michael Owen the footballer.
Because of this connection it could be why you are not finding what you want to find. They had lots of money to cover things up and maybe if he was looked after by the gardener they were sworn to secracy. If you are related to William Owen then you have blue blood and you are related to royalty from all over Europe all though its watered down by now lol.
There are about 4 William Owens born in Carmarthenshire but moved to outside the area. I did see a Wm with a Sarah on the 1851 at Northaw, Herts with three children.
Anyway, I will leave it there unless you find out anything else I think I am stuck now as well lol

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown